MU students local campaign

Loïc

Hi all! Here (in France), we're still in containment (softer than the first, but my local gaming club won't reopen until january or february I'm afraid). So I suspended my Coming Storm campaign and ran a few CoC scenarios. Now I'm planning (my players asked for it!!) a MU student local campaign. They'll of course begin as 1st year students. Do you know any introductory scenario for 1st year students? Otherwise I thought about some non-mythos mystery for the first session (maybe just a maniac on the campus?...). Il precise I still own of course Arkham Unveiled and Miskatonic University, and several other books that will help (Tales from the Miskatonic Valley, Return to Dunwich, Death in Dunwich, and so forth). Thanks for advices!

• Like 1

Many scenarios have some Miskatonic University connection but few are explicitly written for students per se, though a few, such as "The Dig" that involve Archaeological digs typically are structured to include a few MU professors with the investigators assumed to be subordinates and very much in the role a student or graduate student might take. (The other archaeological scenario that comes to mind is "Watcher in the Valley" but that is an expedition officially lead by an independent academic group with an MU professor involved.)

Otherwise the 2003 version of the MU guide book (the one with a worried looking fellow in a sweatshirt on the cover not the one of Cthulhu drawing himself which is the 1995 one) includes the scenario "A Little Knowledge" which is mostly set on campus and is easily made into an MU scenario.  Likewise "The Condemned" from the Arkham guide has a clear MU hook. There is also a scenario mostly set on the MU campus in Plan 09 from Halloween (a monograph) - which a quick check tells me was called "Halloween Nuit".

If you haven't picked it up I suspect you might find our Miskatonic Country Scenarios: A Keeper's Guide of use, as it lists all of the regularly published scenarios in Miskatonic Country and notes those that have some section that occurs on campus (and notes discussing the scenario plot that hopefully would flag any scenarios using staff or students). There is a longer but not quite as robust list of Arkham scenarios, including those with MU links in issue 1 of the Arkham Gazette too (and the scenarios in any issue could be tied into the campus, the scenarios in issues 0 and 2 are probably the easiest to hook in).

• Thanks 1

I failed my library check! Need help!

In Miskatonic University, p197:

As noted nearby, the witch cult never acts on or near the campus of Miskatonic University, and particularly avoids the Orne Library. Why does the coven avoid a potential treasure trove of magical and arcane lore? Some possible answers can be found in this chapter.

Then I can't find these "possible answers"!!! There are a few things about the Exhibit Museum the witch cult may be aware/afraid of (the mummy, Lucas Tetlow...), but nothing about the Orne Library. Or does this mean the witch cult is aware of Armitage Cabal? With its incredible powers, I don't think it frightens much the witch? I probably missed something, so if anyone has an answer or a clue?...

Thanks!

On 11/29/2020 at 4:06 AM, Loïc said:

Hi all! Here (in France), we're still in containment (softer than the first, but my local gaming club won't reopen until january or february I'm afraid). So I suspended my Coming Storm campaign and ran a few CoC scenarios. Now I'm planning (my players asked for it!!) a MU student local campaign. They'll of course begin as 1st year students. Do you know any introductory scenario for 1st year students? Otherwise I thought about some non-mythos mystery for the first session (maybe just a maniac on the campus?...). Il precise I still own of course Arkham Unveiled and Miskatonic University, and several other books that will help (Tales from the Miskatonic Valley, Return to Dunwich, Death in Dunwich, and so forth). Thanks for advices!

This sounds like a great start to campaign, I love the student angle. Its almost a "kids on bikes" type scenario, where the kids are a bit older and the bikes end up being Byakhee. Mythos Scooby Gang :)

• Thanks 1