StormQuest: Adventures in a Known World Undreamed of (also Artesia)

DreadDomain

On 2/16/2021 at 12:35 PM, Jason D said:

On my own wish list, I'd love to see us do another original setting or two using RQ as the core engine, perhaps something more unexpected like the New Sun novels, Bas-lag, Neveryon, Empires of Dust (Anna Smith Spark's novel series), or Charles Saunders' Nyumbani. 

A while back there was a discussion about Adamant Entertainment developing a BRP based game for Bas Lag with a comment that China Mieville was in talks with another company. a shame as I've always felt RQ/BRP would work well with the setting

On 2/25/2021 at 7:52 PM, Agentorange said:

A while back there was a discussion about Adamant Entertainment developing a BRP based game for Bas Lag with a comment that China Mieville was in talks with another company. a shame as I've always felt RQ/BRP would work well with the setting

I was actually in contact with Adamant about that and was supposedly going to be a part of the writing team. (Huge fan of China Mieville's work.) 

I was told that they'd be happy to have me work on it. However, there were so many stalls and delays and inexplicable "soons" that it became apparent it just wasn't going to work out. 

The publisher was just then also going through Far West situation and had a licensed deal take a nose-dive due to some rights tangle they had nothing to do with (Buckaroo Banzai), so it became clear that there was no clear path to publication, much less to serious development. 

I gather that the rights passed back to Mieville, and somehow ended up in the hands of Zak S, which is not encouraging given his relationship to the RPG industry at present. So my guess is that a Bas-lag game is stalled until the rights leave Zak's hands, if those rights are still there.

I suspect if another Bas-lag book were to come out the license would be much more appealing, however there doesn't seem to be one on the horizon for the immediate future. (He seems to be primarily interested in nonfiction/political works these days.)