Effects of possession on the body?

Scorus

I think they are still there, as the spirit is dominant, so leaves the original spirit there but dormant.

You would have to force the original person out, using Discorporation or something similar, to get rid of it.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

30 minutes ago, soltakss said:

I think they are still there, as the spirit is dominant, so leaves the original spirit there but dormant.

So if the possessing spirit is forced out by spirit combat or negotiation, then the original person would regain control of the body? But if the body is killed, then both the possessing and original spirit die?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Scorus said:

So if the possessing spirit is forced out by spirit combat or negotiation, then the original person would regain control of the body? But if the body is killed, then both the possessing and original spirit die?

Yes, I think that's how it works.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

8 hours ago, Scorus said:

Shamans can possess, and are not killed if their new host dies while possessed, so presumably killing the host does not kill the possessor (though it does a small amount of general hitpoint damage, not sure how this would apply to spirits without a body to return to).

If the host body is killed, I'd say the possessed entity is dead (body dead, spirit moving on to its eternal reward), and the possessing spirit no longer possesses that body. The bad news: it'll be back. You might have discombobulated it (briefly or for quite a while, depending on the spirit, situation and story), but you haven't got rid of it for good.

So if your village is being menaced by a spirit that possesses its victims, killing one of the victims does not solve your problem. If an enemy shaman has possessed your khan, killing the khan inconveniences that shaman - it doesn't kill him.

4 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

If the host body is killed, I'd say the possessed entity is dead (body dead, spirit moving on to its eternal reward), and the possessing spirit no longer possesses that body. The bad news: it'll be back. You might have discombobulated it (briefly or for quite a while, depending on the spirit, situation and story), but you haven't got rid of it for good.

So if your village is being menaced by a spirit that possesses its victims, killing one of the victims does not solve your problem. If an enemy shaman has possessed your khan, killing the khan inconveniences that shaman - it doesn't kill him.

Killing that shaman's body may not end the possession, or does it automatically?

There are ghosts of shamans who still have their fetches, basically twinned entities in the spirit world. The status of being a ghost usually indicates that the body of that entity is dead.

But then, shamans are known to be able to self-resurrect, and it isn't entirely clear whether they require their complete former body to do so.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

6 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

Hmm, so a spat of suicides could actually be a spirit possessing people.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scorus said:

Hmm, so a spat of suicides could actually be a spirit possessing people.

I have used that exact situation in a scenario in the past.

• Like 1