The Culbrea/Cinsina war of 1623: what is the canon outcome?

Zodgrod

Hi!

Still running my RQG sandboxy version of 11 Lights and we've made it to mid-1623! 

I've positioned the Culbrea as looking to instigate a war by backing the Two Pine's quest to restart their 7 tributes.   Both clan and tribe are overmatched by the Red Cow and Cinisina in terms of wealth and population (and ergo Fyrd size and quality one would think) but have access to more magic thanks to having proportionally many more New Breathers versus intermittent access to Three Stars magic.  With that, they decide to go for it but not without at least trying to draw the Cinsina into declaring war first if they can (for rebel optics' sake and to ensure the Jonstown Confederation doesn't come down on them).

So far the players are playing it cautious and not taking the bait looking to grind down the economically poorer Culbrea.  So, in other words, the complicated situation has them unwilling to take significant action.  In those cases I generally let "history" take back over and so the Culbrea eventually have to actively instigate so that the 1623 war starts.

Which is all fine but this has me wondering: who actually won this war and what were the impacts on the tribes and the rebelliion? Kallyr I'm guessing took no direct part but did nothing to stop it making her even less popular with Ivartha.  I'd like to know the "real" outcome as I'll lean on this if all things (i.e. dice rolls) remain equal? 

Guessing the Culbrea win a short but bloody war but only just and they pick up Greenhaft and maybe even Blueberry in the Peace Weaving.  Any input (even non-canonical) is welcome!

James

Edited by Zodgrod

• Zodgrod changed the title to The Culbrea/Cinsina war of 1623: what is the canon outcome?

Without a Prince, tribal warfare is going to be endemic but usually low key. The Culbrea rebelled, stopped paying tribute, and even engaged in guerrilla activity and banditry-in-force, but refrained from taking actions that would alienate the anti-Lunar population in other tribes. They could raid and humiliate leaders of the Cinsina, holding specific people for ransom, rustling cattle, and the embarrassed Cinsina leaders can't really do anything about it. The Culbrea are folk heroes for blowing off the Lunars (who are too distracted to do much about it as long as the Culbrea don't force their hand), and the Cinsina have their own needs to remain friendly to the Lunar Army (Jomes after all is a General). Nobody appeals any of this up to Prince Temertain, who is too disinterested to do his job.

In early 1625, Temertain is gone, and there are a lot of Lunar soldiers (more than 10,000) gathered around the New Lunar Temple. They are focused on other things (like major Praxian nomad activity and an army of Hendriki around Whitewall), but nobody wants to give them an excuse to march two days north and crush the Culbrea.

And them the Dragonrise happened and the chessboard got knocked over. And when the pieces got picked up, there were almost no Red pieces left. And Kallyr was there in person leading the Orange pieces.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1