Balazar terrain

GMKen

The map for the Balazar region features an isometric line representing a terrain elevation of 1500 meters, or just shy of a mile up.

Is this relative to the Elf Sea?

The reason I ask is that if you look at the outcrop with Elder’s Rock, it is as close as 16 km to the Elf Sea.  Thinking in Texas terms, I’m trying to picture Denver where Houston is right next to the Gulf of Mexico and it’s messing with my sense of perspective.  Tall buttes?  Really, really steep terrain?  Is there any kind of canon on this?

Not sure what publication you are looking at, but I would suggest download the free copy of the Argan Argar atlas from DriveThruRPG: 

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/178723/Argan-Argar-Atlas

This will let you see the area with a colour coded elevations.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

2 hours ago, GMKen said:

The map for the Balazar region features an isometric line representing a terrain elevation of 1500 meters, or just shy of a mile up.

Presumably this is the Balazar/Elder Wilds map from Griffin Mountain.

2 hours ago, GMKen said:

I don't think so, I think the Elf Sea is elevated anyway, as Balazar is a bit of a plateau.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

6 hours ago, GMKen said:

The reason I ask is that if you look at the outcrop with Elder’s Rock, it is as close as 16 km to the Elf Sea

Elder's Rock appears on the old Griffin Mountain map of Balazar, as does the line denoting 1500m/5000 ft.  

It is not relative to the Elf Sea.  As @David Scott you'll get a better perspective from the Argan Argar Atlas (as in the clip below), but most of Balazar including the Elf Sea is part of a broad plain that is in the 5000-6000 feet above sea level range.  So figure the Elf Sea is marginally below 5000, but it does not drop down 1000 feet.  There is a fairly rapid drop to the north though (descending 1000+ feet) towards the Arcos River Valley and Garsting.

image.png.a3bb543e2e4d55b2884641402383d7d0.png

• Thanks 1