Worlds Beyond on DTRPG

On 5/2/2021 at 7:50 PM, wbcreighton said:

The scifi D100 rpg obviously inspired by BRP has been revived by Precis and is on drivethrurpg.com  

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/355945/Worlds-Beyond-Classic-Reprint

Cool. IIRC they actually licensed BRP from Chaosium, although the system is customised so much that I never realised until I happened to spot the license notice. My copy is in the attic so I can't double check that easily though.

• Like 1

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

This isn't related to Other Suns, is it?

I remember picking that game up at a used book store once and being very unimpressed with it. Every single alien race was just a human in a fuzzy suit ['squirrel people', etc.] and the layout was confused and slapped together like the first edition of Morrow Project.

Wow! I never knew about this, and picked up a copy as a result. If I had come across it at the time I would have been all over it. 

"RQ IN SPACE!!!" that's what my teen age self would have cried with glee 😄 

My older self is analysing it and critically dissecting it, like it did recently with Games Workshop's Judge Dredd RPG 🙂

• Like 2

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

On 5/7/2021 at 5:25 PM, svensson said:

This isn't related to Other Suns, is it?

I remember picking that game up at a used book store once and being very unimpressed with it. Every single alien race was just a human in a fuzzy suit ['squirrel people', etc.] and the layout was confused and slapped together like the first edition of Morrow Project.

Not related to Other Suns

• Like 2

I use  fantasygrounds.com

8 minutes ago, wbcreighton said:

Not related to Other Suns

Thanks. I'll give it a look. I mean, a full game for $10 is a good deal no matter when it was made 😁

The 'fuzzy suit' alien [aka 'Trek forehead'] is a pet peeve of mine, so I try and avoid the trope if I can.

Edited by svensson

9 hours ago, svensson said:

The 'fuzzy suit' alien [aka 'Trek forehead'] is a pet peeve of mine, so I try and avoid the trope if I can.

Mine, too, unless this is about uplifted species. There are way too many vertebrate aliens in science fiction, one thing that Lovecraft and BEM pulp SF got fairly right. Even with panspermia, the chance survival of the Cambrian explosion then mass extinction by those headless chordata proto-fish won't necessarily have repeated on other planets.

Other Suns is a solid SF rpg if you replace the aliens with something more sensible, or otherwise if you give them a Dr Moreau backstory. Its tech level is much closer to what you see in other SF than anything provided in Traveller (which is basically Cold War military veterans with their weapons tech and education in aristocratic space).

• Like 2

Telling how it is excessive verbis

10 hours ago, Joerg said:

Mine, too, unless this is about uplifted species. There are way too many vertebrate aliens in science fiction, one thing that Lovecraft and BEM pulp SF got fairly right. Even with panspermia, the chance survival of the Cambrian explosion then mass extinction by those headless chordata proto-fish won't necessarily have repeated on other planets.

Other Suns is a solid SF rpg if you replace the aliens with something more sensible, or otherwise if you give them a Dr Moreau backstory. Its tech level is much closer to what you see in other SF than anything provided in Traveller (which is basically Cold War military veterans with their weapons tech and education in aristocratic space).

Well, most game designers in the 70's were veterans of one sort or another. In the US, we still had the Draft and there were a lot of graduates of the 'Vietnam School of Foreign Relations' about back then....

As for Traveller [and I'm as a huge a fan of the game as I am of RQ] they had a progression of aliens designed to ease players in to playing alien races... the first race WAS an Uplift. The Vargr were raised to sentience from Terran Canis lupus stock. The next race introduced was also 'fuzzy' and had cultural and social practices easy for kids in the early 80's to understand... the Aslan looked very leonine and could be played like 'fuzzy samurai'. The next two races got farther off the beaten track... the K'Kree [intelligent centaur-oids who wanted to exterminate all carnivores in space; yes, 'Cows With Guns'] and the Hivers, who were unlike any other sentient race in science fiction. The minor races got much more interesting later on, with gas giant dwellers, swarm intelligences etc.

The new Mongoose Traveller 2nd edition Starter Box places the adventurers in a wholly new area of space, completely away from the Charted Space of the Official Traveller Universe. I'm planning on starting a tabletop campaign in the region, and using aliens from several different sources. None of them will be 'fuzzy suit' aliens. I have a race I designed that'll be present, the Pentapods of 2300AD will be there, and I'm knocking around several other ideas. But these races will be alien... with their own goals, mindsets, priorities and imperatives than humanity. Some will be friendly, some not, most will be disinterested or manipulative. But none of them will be BESM squirrels in uniforms.

• Like 2