"An industry changing product"... RPG Imaginings video review of the RuneQuest Starter Set

MOB

Great review by the way @klecser! I pretty much agree with the content of the review. I few other aspects that could have been useful for new players:

• character creation is not included but there is an excellent summary of it in the RQ Wiki. Pretty much all you need to create characters is there, freely available.
  • The rules are freely available in the RQ Wiki!
  • The SoloQuest is also freely available on Chaosium's website!
  • You should have shown the map and the character folios! They are also highlights of the set!

But I believe you were right to focus on books 2 and 4. Ready made adventures and a sandbox. Cannot go wrong with that.

The only critiscm I have about the Starter Set is about Book 1. They really could have done a better job at tightening the explanation or the rules. The book is ok and useful but is is merely a "meh" in my opinion.

The rest of the starter set is great.

Edited by DreadDomain
moved thread to correct forum
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Starter Set is quite an achievement.  While cunningly reminiscent of the Basic D&D boxed set, it brings so much more to the gaming table.  My favorite piece is the Battle of Dangerford Solo Quest, drawing on the Solo Quests of RQ2 of old, but doing it even better.  It really brings home how much the pencil and paper RPG hobby has grown and developed, and why any player or GM who hasn't "been to Glorantha" needs to acquaint themselves with it ASAP.  I hope it stuffed a few stockings this Sacred Time.

• Like 2