Control (Entity)

Ryan Kent

What are the acceptable types of spirits one can control with the Control (Entity) spirit magic spell?

Would Control Entity (disembodied spirit) be too broad?  If not, would this encompass all disembodied spirits, including ghosts, animal spirits, disease spirits, healing spirits, guardian spirits, landscape spirits, wyters, etc.?  

19 minutes ago, Ryan Kent said:

What are the acceptable types of spirits one can control with the Control (Entity) spirit magic spell?

Would Control Entity (disembodied spirit) be too broad?  If not, would this encompass all disembodied spirits, including ghosts, animal spirits, disease spirits, healing spirits, guardian spirits, landscape spirits, wyters, etc.?  

Way too broad, IMO. Control <Entity> is a spell useful first and foremost for shamans and people with access to Discorporation, since only those have the ability to reliably beat down a spirit to zero MP in spirit combat. Embodied characters cannot do anything against a spirit breaking off spirit combat when things don't run its way.

The only other use is to cast Control <Entity> on an entity bound in a matrix or a crystal, to keep giving it commands within the duration of the spell, including the command to return to the binding object.

Ghost is an applicable term for entity, as are Disease Spirit or Healing Spirit.

Landscape spirits sounds rather broad, too. Even "nymphs" would be too unspecific, IMO - there shouldn't be a spell that works as well on a naiad as on an oread or a dryad. Even if you (or your minion spirits) have to pummel her unconscious in spirit combat.

Guardian spirit is a job rather than a type. Not applicable, IMO.

Wyter is a job rather than a spirit type, too. 

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

animal spirit, no. wolf spirit yes

nymph no,  oread yes

I refuse control wyter (aka any wyter in the world) , but I accept  Command Cult Spirit only when the wyter is associated with the god providing the [command cult spirit spell]

1 hour ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

Off hand i would say that if it has a separate entry in the Glorantha Bestiary, it needs a separate spell. 

seems to me the best and simpliest rule to follow

• Like 1