A couple of Noob questions

JDS

Long time gamer (started 1979) just turned on to BRP. Have recently switched from F2F to Roll20 (and love it), and the search for a good system supported by Roll20 led me to BRP (literally three days ago).

I have three questions that a forum search couldn't solve:

1) I just bought the core rules on Drive-thru. Later, shuffling through my poorly-organized pdf collection, I discovered I had the Core Rules 4th edition. Is there any difference? The reason I ask, is that 4th edition pdf can be high-lighted and noted on my Ipad, whereas the one I just bought can't.

2) Where can I buy a copy of Aces High?

3) Is there a monster compendium, or should I just refer to the various setting books.

Thanks. 

The current edition of BRP is what's called the BYB... the Big Yellow Book... published 2010. Odds are, your pdf is the latest one.

Aces High used to have a purchase link at Chaosium. I tried looking for it, but no luck. Don't know why.

There isn't a generic bestiary, but the RuneQuest in Glorantha Bestiary would serve you well.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, svensson said:

Aces High used to have a purchase link at Chaosium. I tried looking for it, but no luck. Don't know why.

Aces High was a BRP Monograph, and Chaosium very recently announced that the Monograph-Line is discontinued. 
If the author(s) want to keep this title available, it has to be reissued in the Miskatonic Resository. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/7/2022 at 6:26 AM, svensson said:

The current edition of BRP is what's called the BYB... the Big Yellow Book... published 2010. Odds are, your pdf is the latest one.

There isn't a generic bestiary, but the RuneQuest in Glorantha Bestiary would serve you well.

Well, my copy of the 4th Edition (copyright 2008) has the same cover as the Copyright 2022 version (yellow cover with Da Vinci-style sketch), and the art inside lines up.

I hope they're the same.

1 minute ago, JDS said:

Well, my copy of the 4th Edition (copyright 2008) has the same cover as the Copyright 2022 version (yellow cover with Da Vinci-style sketch), and the art inside lines up.

I hope they're the same.

It's the same, but I think just with the copyright renewed. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2022 at 1:26 PM, svensson said:

Also, the earlier edition of the Malleus Monstrorum is what I tend to use when I need a creature stat block not found in the BRP rules. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, JDS said:

I hope they're the same.

You've the first edition, a second was published in 2011. I suspect that minor errors were fixed and a few tweaks made when the second edition was printed as they've the same page count. Both have the same cover except for the SKU.

CHA2020 Basic Roleplaying - published 2008, ISBN 1-56882-189-1.

CHA2026 Basic Roleplaying - published 2011 (second edition) ISBN 1-56882-347-9.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2