About ilusory senses

I see these are temporal, so they remain for 15 minutes, but do you have the skill to form Illusions for 15 min or you create one and it lays there for the duration of the spell?

"The caster might create a sword, a fire, a rock, a pile of gold, 
etc. "

So can the caster create a pile of rock and then pick a sword that disappears in flames to turn to gold in the caste's pockets 

Or

She has a sword for the duration of the spell. 

49 minutes ago, SevenSistersOfVinga said:

I see these are temporal, so they remain for 15 minutes, but do you have the skill to form Illusions for 15 min or you create one and it lays there for the duration of the spell?

etc. "

So can the caster create a pile of rock and then pick a sword that disappears in flames to turn to gold in the caste's pockets 

Or

I'm pretty sure need to add some form of "changeability" to the spell.  By default, I think you have whatever you first created, e.g. "create a sword, now you have a sword for the duration."

I'm not sure about that very ... "faerie"(?) feeling mutability you describe, but -- barring a canonical answer from Jeff/etc -- I think I'd model it on the rules for creating "illusions with movement."

To be honest, though:  in Gloranthan terms it's got a bit of a feel of the Chaotic to it...  Not all "chaos" is evil & vile, and this sounds lovely and wondrous!  But this form-shifting from a pile of rock to a sword is all Earth-ish stuff; then the shift through becoming Flame (and therefore not Earth anymore) seems ... well... chaotic.

I mean, it's all "illusion" so it "doesn't count;" but still...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

28 minutes ago, g33k said:

I think I'd model it on the rules for creating "illusions with movement."

You mean like an extra spell that shuffles your Illusions into something new? That's a good idea

29 minutes ago, g33k said:

But this form-shifting from a pile of rock to a sword is all Earth-ish stuff; then the shift through becoming Flame

The alternative, to me, feels like a spell that makes the caster someone with pockets. "You have a sword... congratulations.... you can sacrifice more of your immortal soul if you want a rock like that one on the floor"

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, SevenSistersOfVinga said:

You mean like an extra spell that shuffles your Illusions into something new? That's a good idea

"Illusory Motion" is a separate spell, without it, your illusory butterfly will not flutter about, your illusory guard will not walk the battlements, an illusory cloak will not flare in the wind, etc.

I'd posit an "Illusory Mutability" to cover such odd & unnatural changes as in the OP; I'd model it closely on the "Illusory Motion" spell.

• Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

48 minutes ago, SevenSistersOfVinga said:

The alternative, to me, feels like a spell that makes the caster someone with pockets. "You have a sword... congratulations.... you can sacrifice more of your immortal soul if you want a rock like that one on the floor"

But you can create any illusion with the one spell; you don't POW-sac separately for "Illusory Sword" spell and "Illusory Rock on the Floor" spell.  Within the limits of size, you can make anything you desire.

And as you move up, you quickly get stuff bigger than fits in a pocket...  😉

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

10 hours ago, SevenSistersOfVinga said:

Or

there are two things about :50-power-movement:

movement and change

movement = illusory motion

change = 2 options :

1) you know, when you cast the spell, what will be the "show" (you know that there will be a sword , disappearing in flames, after 2 minutes, etc...")

from my perspective, I would request illusory motion.

2) during the spell, because something happens , you want to turn the staff into a  snake

from my perspective, I would say : "you must stop the first illusion (staff) then cast a new illusion spell (snake)"

1 minute ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

there are two things about :50-power-movement:

movement and change

movement = illusory motion

change = 2 options :

in fact ... that means 3 branchs

movement, anticipated change, reaction change, the rune is well designed, isn't it ?!

Edited by French Desperate WindChild
  • Helpful 1

12 hours ago, SevenSistersOfVinga said:

etc. "

Or

In my games if you want a mutable illusion, it has to have an Illusionary motion component. Illusionary motion clearly states that The caster has a chance of manipulating the illusion equal to their DEX×3. As illusions are real, the only issue will be if the change is seen.

The most common use of this when doing a magic show. Pour milk into a (real) hat, the milk is 2pts of Illusionary sight and movement, the magician then manipulates it and pulls out a rabbit. Then throws the rabbit into the air where it explodes into confetti. If the rabbit needs handling by the audience, add a point of Illusionary substance. All of that will cover a 15 minute show easily. Remember you only need to roll if it's a dramatic situation and then you can augment you DEX roll with ritual preparation (a warm up) or your illusion or movement rune.

When I worked as a clown, magic was much harder than this.

etc. "

Yes, but you might want a better schtick than that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

14 minutes ago, David Scott said:

The most common use of this when doing a magic show. Pour milk into a (real) hat, the milk is 2pts of Illusionary sight and movement, the magician then manipulates it and pulls out a rabbit. Then throws the rabbit into the air where it explodes into confetti

This is what we are looking for.

15 minutes ago, David Scott said:

Remember you only need to roll if it's a dramatic situation and then you can augment you DEX roll with ritual preparation (a warm up) or your illusion or movement rune.

Runes, Fast Talk, acting and slight of hands we have, is higher magic what we were missing.

17 minutes ago, David Scott said:

but you might want a better schtick than that

Better work on an act then.