A chat about the past and the future at Eternal Con

After a 11-year hiatus, this year I will be at Castle Stahleck on the Rhine, for Eternal Con. I have planned a short seminar during which we will talk about the joys and frustrations of being a small publisher between inthe second decade of the 21st century, for those who do not know Alephtar Games, and about our plans for the future, for those who know us. All attendants are invited. There will be lots of exciting news.

And if you are a subscriber of our long-delayed kickstarter, don't worry: there will be good news for you.

Eternal Con is on June 3-6 at Bacharach, Germany. All Durulz and Deep Ones are welcome.

• Like 5

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Let us make a little summary of the seminar, and explain what will happen to Revolution in the future.

The first part of the seminar was about the past. I talked about what happened with Alephtar in the 13 years since we started using this brand. We spoke about the Mongoose license, the Chaosium license, and what was good and not so good with these product lines. I would rather not bother you with these points. They belong to the past.

The future, then. I reiterated that some change is coming, and explained why. For technical reasons, Alephtar Games cannot go on as a single owner operation as it has been so far. All its assets and trademarks must be transferred to a new legal entity, with a new administrator. This process has already begun and will be complete within 2022, although not much will change for customers. The next products might have a new brand attached to them, but the Alephtar brand will survive for historical reasons.

What is in the publishing pipeline, then?

As announced, the international and revised edition of Revolution D100 will appear after the two licensed products, Dynamic D100 and Red Moon Rising. Let us see what is happening to these two products.

The license for Dynamic D100 is being renegotiated with Dynamic Planning. We are asking for permission to publish one supplement in 2023. Dynamic D100 will be targeted mostly at the French and Italian markets, with the two localizations being available since 2021.

The long overdue Kickstarter for Red Moon Rising will see the delivery of the first rewards in 2022, at last. An announcement is imminent on Kickstarter. The complete fulfilment is expected in 2023. Like Dynamic D100, Red Moon Rising will be a stand-alone game which contains a subset of the Revolution D100 rules. This game will be in English only.

Once both these games are out via the distribution channels, we will launch the International edition of Revolution D100 with a crowdfunding campaign. The English, Italian and French editions will appear together. We are aiming at a mixed strategy with regard to supplements, with both full games with integrated rules and setting and splatbooks that require the core rulebook.

The purpose of the core rulebook remains that of letting you create your own game world. However, we will try to publish “genre packs” and ready-to-play settings and campaigns. Apart from Red Moon Rising, the Shade Land and Rise of the Yokai Koku are examples of these and might be expanded in the future.

Our intention is to release genre packs at a rate of one per two years, or even one per year if we can. Ideally, each genre pack should have its own crowdfunding campaign. So we might have the core book in 2023, then high fantasy in 2024, then science fiction in 2025, and so on. One or more example settings should be in each genre pack.

• Like 6

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

On 6/23/2022 at 5:52 PM, RosenMcStern said:

The first part of the seminar was about the past. I talked about what happened with Alephtar in the 13 years since we started using this brand. We spoke about the Mongoose license, the Chaosium license, and what was good and not so good with these product lines. I would rather not bother you with these points. They belong to the past.

Personally, I would be interested in reading a version of what you said.