Can I make a digital game using BRP?

KNY

I'm a student and planning a game project. It will be made with RPG Maker, and I'm looking forward to uploading in Steam. Can I use Basic Roleplaying rules in my game? 

Activity QuestWorlds OGL BRP OGL Jonstown Compendium Miskatonic Repository
I want to publish my own game using the -OGL system. If you are looking for a publish platform, we recommend DriveThruRPG. Tag it there with the appropriate rule system. X X    
I want to create a Create a Call of Cthulhu Scenario      
I want to create a RuneQuest Glorantha Scenario      X  
I want to set a game in Glorantha      X  
I want to create my own science fiction game X X    
I want to create my own fantasy game X    
I want to create my own historical adventure X X

I found this but I'm having difficulties in understanding what it actually means. Does 'game' mean new TRPG rule? Or is it including digital games too? If it's right, are the last three saying that I can't make 'science fiction', 'fantasy', 'historical adventure' genre games? The game I'm planning includes fantasy elements, though the main genre is horror.

I was not sure where to question this, just found this forum...If anyone knows where should I contact to discuss this, It would be nice if you let me know. 🙂

Edited by KNY

4 hours ago, KNY said:

I'm a student and planning a game project. It will be made with RPG Maker, and I'm looking forward to uploading in Steam.

I'm no lawyer, but it seems clear to me.

4 hours ago, KNY said:

Can I use Basic Roleplaying rules in my game? 

0. Legal Information

You may incorporate the rules as they appear in BRPSRD1.0, wholly or in part, into a derivative work, through the use of the BRPOpen Game License, Version 1.0.

1.    Definitions:

(b)  “Derivative Material” means copyrighted material including derivative works and translations (including into computer languages), potation, modification, correction, addition, extension, upgrade, improvement, compilation, abridgment, or other forms in which an existing work may be recast, transformed, or adapted;

3. ... You must affix a complete copy of this License to any BRP Open Game Content that You Use and include the Copyright Notice detailed in Section 7 in all appropriate locations.

So yes (as long as you follow the license

4 hours ago, KNY said:

If it's right, are the last three saying that I can't make 'science fiction', 'fantasy', 'historical adventure' genre games? The game I'm planning includes fantasy elements, though the main genre is horror.

It's saying you can, the X means yes 

4 hours ago, KNY said:

I was not sure where to question this, just found this forum...If anyone knows where should I contact to discuss this, It would be nice if you let me know. 🙂

@MOB should be able to help.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

1 hour ago, David Scott said:

I'm no lawyer, but it seems clear to me.

0. Legal Information

You may incorporate the rules as they appear in BRPSRD1.0, wholly or in part, into a derivative work, through the use of the BRPOpen Game License, Version 1.0.

1.    Definitions:

(b)  “Derivative Material” means copyrighted material including derivative works and translations (including into computer languages), potation, modification, correction, addition, extension, upgrade, improvement, compilation, abridgment, or other forms in which an existing work may be recast, transformed, or adapted;

3. ... You must affix a complete copy of this License to any BRP Open Game Content that You Use and include the Copyright Notice detailed in Section 7 in all appropriate locations.

So yes (as long as you follow the license

It's saying you can, the X means yes 

@MOB should be able to help.

Thank you for your kind reply😭 I'm glad that I can proceed with my project. I wish you have a good day! 😄

Is your RPG an original setting, or one clearly based upon entirely-public domain materials?

n.b. the BRP OGL specifically disallows infringing upon IP's, so (for example) you can make a sci-fi-horror game, but not one that's explicitly based upon the Alien franchise.

Also, specifically, the BRP OGL doesn't allow you to make a game directly competing with one of Chaosium's titles.  No Arthur-a-la-Mallory RPG (though a genuinely-historical dark-ages / just-as-Rome-is-withdrawing Arthur would probably be OK, and an Arthur-in-Jane-Austens-Regency-England; (but check with Chaosium!)); No Gloranthan RPG; no Cthulhu RPG.

I *believe* that Chaosium has existing licenses with CRPG makers that explicitly prevent them from licensing those IP's to other CRPG makers.

(n.b. I am not Chaosium, just a fan)

C'es ne pas un .sig

17 hours ago, g33k said:

n.b. the BRP OGL specifically disallows infringing upon IP's, so (for example) you can make a sci-fi-horror game, but not one that's explicitly based upon the Alien franchise.

Of course, it doesn't matter what rule set or Open Game License you're using, if you're making something for public consumption you shouldn't be infringing on others' copyrights or trademarks.

• 2 months later...

The OGL FAQ that used to be on the Wizards of the Coast site (and is currently mirrored here) explicitly addressed the use of OGL content in digital games:

42. I want to distribute computer software using the OGL. Is that possible?

Yes, it's certainly possible. The most significant thing that will impact your effort is that you have to give all the recipients the right to extract and use any Open Game Content you've included in your application, and you have to clearly identify what part of the software is Open Game Content.

One way is to design your application so that all the Open Game Content resides in files that are human-readable (that is, in a format that can be opened and understood by a reasonable person). Another is to have all the data used by the program viewable somehow while the program runs.

Distributing the source code not an acceptable method of compliance. First off, most programming languages are not easy to understand if the user hasnÍt studied the language. Second, the source code is a separate entity from the executable file. The user must have access to the actual Open Content used.

See the Software FAQ for more information.

While this was, again, on the Wizards of the Coast site, it was just explaining the Open Game License rather than anything D&D-specific, so it should be applicable to any system using the OGL.  (That being said, while the words of the license don't change, it's conceivable that another company might interpret its terms differently.)

If you're curious, you can see an archived copy of the referenced Software FAQ here, but aside from a discussion of using the d20 license, which of course is completely irrelevant to BRP, it doesn't really add anything important.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't notice I was replying to a topic where the last post was two months old.  Sorry; I'll be more careful to check the date of the topic before replying next time.

Edited by Jex

The Jonstown Compendium is your source of info here as RQ does not do OGL. Here is the pertinent data...

https://support.drivethrurpg.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036896591-Jonstown-Compendium-Content-Guidelines?affiliate_rem=77157

Damn, you slid your edit in just as I was posting... that is two posts that can be ignored by all...

Sorry

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!