Character Creation Rules - From 5th to 5.2 Editions

On 9/7/2022 at 4:31 PM, Primo Cavaliere said:

I have got the Book of Knights and Ladies, but it's the Nocturnal edition.

And I plan to use it to create the knights on friday's evening. But the question is if, after making the name-correction Spiritual instead of Pious, are there any other relevant changes I should mind of?

@Primo Cavaliere, from my experience, any knight created with the rules of editions 3-5.2 (including of course edition 5.0) is pretty much compatible with any other edition, so you shouldn't have to worry too much about this aspect. I think BoK is really a good choice for beginning playing in a short time, since it gives you fast but complete(-ish) creation rules. Then, when you receive your 5.2 rules, you can go in deeper in any rule details you would like to.

This situation is also VERY lucky for GMs/players, since you can pick up any KAP adventure/supplement/geographic book for any edition and use it almost straight away for your game, whatever the specific edition you are using for it!

42 minutes ago, mandrill_one said:

@Primo Cavaliere, from my experience, any knight created with the rules of editions 3-5.2 (including of course edition 5.0) is pretty much compatible with any other edition, so you shouldn't have to worry too much about this aspect. I think BoK is really a good choice for beginning playing in a short time, since it gives you fast but complete(-ish) creation rules. Then, when you receive your 5.2 rules, you can go in deeper in any rule details you would like to.

My only caveat with this would be that there are some significant differences between the core 5.x and BoK&L chargen, in particular when it comes to the Luck Tables and Regional Trait Modifiers (free 6 trait points, 3 towards the Chivalric, for Logres people). BoK&L Cymric Luck Table hands out tens of libra, magical items and animals, whereas the 5.2 Luck Table might just give you a bunch of denarii on a poor roll. Personally, BoK&L Luck Tables would be great for minor magical items as quest rewards, but a bit too much to hand out at chargen, whereas 5.2 Luck Tables have some way too cheap items, IMHO. Perhaps not surprisingly, I like the Book of Sires table the best.

The above is to say: as long as you use the same book for all characters, they should be starting from an equal playing field (theoretically, if they chose the random determination that might cause differences, but that is up to them). But using different books for different players would set some characters at a disadvantage.

Edited by Morien