Breather Sisters

Jose

Hi, We are about to begin our campaign (boldhome 1614) and I have questions because one of my players want to be initiated in the Breather Sisters as part of an Orlanth secret resistance movement. Are they goddesses with a spirit cult? Are they the air equivalent to the ernaldan snake daughters or feminine versions of thunder Brothers? 

Thanks

3 hours ago, Jose said:

Hi, We are about to begin our campaign (boldhome 1614) and I have questions because one of my players want to be initiated in the Breather Sisters as part of an Orlanth secret resistance movement. Are they goddesses with a spirit cult? Are they the air equivalent to the ernaldan snake daughters or feminine versions of thunder Brothers? 

Thanks

They are secret hidden Mostali air pumps that feed air into underground areas of Boldhome.  They likely take the form of female idols, because why not?  That's a cool design.

2 hours ago, Jose said:

My player read about them in Jeff's facebook  post and asked me for details, that obviously I don't know, that's the reason I am asking. If that is the only information that is fine for me and he must choose Orlanths cult as it is in RQG. 

Thanks. 

young_female_wind_spirit_from_india_dancing_i_e9b3147b-e478-4d2e-b067-3797acf1d64e.thumb.png.0d59283a0ced41a10a84add7c71108e5.pngReading the section again, Orlanth must be the Breather Within, with the sisters usually receiving collateral worship from Orlanth. Except during the occupation in which it was the other way round. I'd imagine them as a couple of wind spirits that constantly dance through the tunnels circulating the air, never meeting so the air always goes the same way. Their statues are just a focus for their worship (I don't think they are air pumps). If they have any magic, it's likely a form of Wind Warp to blow out stale air and smells from the odd corner now and then.

As lamps and candles shimmer, a stuffy room or a steamy kitchen is cleared, people say aha blessing from a Breather Sister. Those who live and work in the pockets leave flowers and coins on their statues. On Orlanth's High Holy days the sisters can be seen dancing through the corridors, every one who see them hopes they will be touched by them as they pass as it's a good omen for the coming year. Or something like that.

Edited by David Scott
attempt at atmospheric midjourney dancing wind spirit
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 4

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

1 hour ago, David Scott said:

young_female_wind_spirit_from_india_dancing_i_e9b3147b-e478-4d2e-b067-3797acf1d64e.thumb.png.0d59283a0ced41a10a84add7c71108e5.pngReading the section again, Orlanth must be the Breather Within, with the sisters usually receiving collateral worship from Orlanth. Except during the occupation in which it was the other way round. I'd imagine them as a couple of wind spirits that constantly dance through the tunnels circulating the air, never meeting so the air always goes the same way. Their statues are just a focus for their worship (I don't think they are air pumps). If they have any magic, it's likely a form of Wind Warp to blow out stale air and smells from the odd corner now and then.

As lamps and candles shimmer, a stuffy room or a steamy kitchen is cleared, people say aha blessing from a Breather Sister. Those who live and work in the pockets leave flowers and coins on their statues. On Orlanth's High Holy days the sisters can be seen dancing through the corridors, every one who see them hopes they will be touched by them as they pass as it's a good omen for the coming year. Or something like that.

A very useful explanation, thank you David, that explain how it was posible that their magic worked during the Evil year when Orlanth was trapped in the underworld. Very useful indeed. 

I would prefer if they are both Mostali pumps that need MP to keep functioning, and the spirit cult they set up, supported by Sartar, to make sure they always had enough MP to keep functioning, and who through the years now have developed their own personality and preferences from their worshippers. So much that now they can grant some magic from Orlanth, and it is useful as a way to bypass his death or Lunar restrictions on worship.

So I would treat them as a Boldhome specific Orlanth subcult, but whose magic still works in the Windstop, and that is separate from standard temples so the Lunars could not close them. I would give them the Increase and Decrease Wind spells, though they argue which sister gives which. So not so suitable for adventurers, except in tunnels...

• Like 1