Elric! or Magic World character generation for Nehwon

Questbird

I've combined several sources for how to make Nehwonian (Lankhmar) characters in Elric! for my long-running campaign. Basically I just adapted the Mongoose Lankhmar Unleashed cultural backgrounds for Elric! skills instead of Runequest II, and set the 'personality' skills from Elric!  to +10% instead of +20%, to make room for them. I use Spell Law lists for Nehwonian sorcerers. The results are at: https://nehwon.obsidianportal.com/wikis/nehwon-characters.

Not that any of my players in that campaign have made up a new character for a while, but it's nice to have the info in one place.

• Like 4

That’s awesome, thanks for sharing. I’ve also been ruminating on a Lankhmar campaign with MW as the base, but I’ve also been toying with how to adapt some of the DCC Lankhmar stuff into a BRP format. Spell Law is a great idea though; seems like that would be a good way to capture some of the unique flavor of Newtonian magic.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 10:22 AM, Ravenheart87 said:

Wow, you mix RoleMaster's spell law with BRP? That sounds awesome! Any conversion guide for how you do it?

There's a summary here :

https://nehwon.obsidianportal.com/wikis/nehwonian-magic

If I understand it correctly, each spell list is a skill, and to cast a spell you must roll under (skill-5*[Spell Level]) and pay [Spell Level] Magic Points.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

17 hours ago, Mugen said:

There's a summary here :

https://nehwon.obsidianportal.com/wikis/nehwonian-magic

If I understand it correctly, each spell list is a skill, and to cast a spell you must roll under (skill-5*[Spell Level]) and pay [Spell Level] Magic Points.

As a matter of fact, it's very similar to how I'd do it myself.

I would perhaps not put both a negative modifier and a MP cost, though.

I think I'd rather let the player chose between the two. If he pays the full MP cost, he casts it at full skill. But for each MP not paid (minimum 1), he suffers a -5% cumulative modifier.

@Ravenheart87This has come up before on the forums. But well-spotted @Mugen, I also have a write-up on that campaign site. Spell Law used this way works well for Nehwon because the low level spells in Spell Law aren't that powerful. Also it allows you to make a diversity of wizard types; no two alike. @Nikoli has also made use of this system in his campaigns -- he has gone into much more detail about damage conversion etc.

Edited by Questbird
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/8/2022 at 12:31 AM, Nick J. said:

That’s awesome, thanks for sharing. I’ve also been ruminating on a Lankhmar campaign with MW as the base, but I’ve also been toying with how to adapt some of the DCC Lankhmar stuff into a BRP format. Spell Law is a great idea though; seems like that would be a good way to capture some of the unique flavor of Newtonian magic.

I've run two DCC Lankhmar adventures without much modification: Violence for Votishal and Unholy Nights in Lankhmar. I think for monsters and things I just translated DCC's attack modifiers to be increments of 5% added to 50% and went with that. It seemed to work OK, though my PCs' skills are quite good.