Tarsh trade goods

Squaredeal Sten

What trade goods would Tarsh export?  Import?

I have seen Tarsh described  as more prosperous than Sartar. 

If this status is based on more than its not being a war zone for decades before 1628 ST (and yes. Peace and prosperity often go together)

Then I would think the kingdom might have particular exports which would support long distance trade.  Also things they often trade for.

The Guide to Glorantha"s long distance trade table dies not go down to this level of detail  and in it Tarsh is part of Dragon Pass.

Based on the Tarsh section of the Guide, goods and slaves. Then later it says Taxes are paid in livestock, mined goods. later still, Its residents, and the farmers who thickly populate the river valley.

Looking at the trade section in the Guide, RQG, and comparing the sections, Tarsh Imports: Herbs, Iron, Spices, and Exports Artifacts, Mined metals, slaves (see Slavewall), maize.

Don't forget it's got an ongoing civil war.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

"Goods" is not particularly informative.   But herbs and spices is usable. Iron is hard to make a big cargo of.  Exporting mined metals makes sense because we are told elsewhere that the Boldhome bronzeworkers guild owns copper mines in Tarsh. Slaves... I guess it depends on who you trade with.  And everyone buys "artifacts", I suppose they are sold under economic stress.

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
Spelling / typing

36 minutes ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

Exporting mined metals makes sensebevause we are told elsewhere that the Boldhome bronzeworkers guild owns copper mines in Tarsh.

Copper seems to be one of the exports.

36 minutes ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

Slaves... I guess it depends on who you trade with.

Lunar Heartland. Mines elsewhere.

4 hours ago, David Scott said:

Tarsh Imports: Herbs, Iron, Spices, and Exports Artifacts, Mined metals, slaves (see Slavewall), maize.

I'd expect high-quality cloth/silk to be imported for the nobility and priesthood.

One likely import (perhaps included under spices) is Salt.  

12 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Copper seems to be one of the exports.

Lunar Heartland. Mines elsewhere.

I'd expect high-quality cloth/silk to be imported for the nobility and priesthood.

One likely import (perhaps included under spices) is Salt.  

Salt! Yes, that's what I was thinking a minute ago. I open the browser and you confirm it.  Tarsh is landlocked  a cargo of salt from Heortland is already high priced enough to be a good trade commodity.

7 minutes ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

Tarsh is landlocked  a cargo of salt from Heortland is already high priced enough to be a good trade commodity.

Potentially sea salt could also come up the Oslir from Elz Ast/White Sea as well at least when the delta isn't frozen solid, but caravans with salt from Heortland seem likely.

Lowland Tarsh exports vast amounts of maize downriver into the Heartland cities, including Glamour (which is connected to the Oslir via a canal). That alone may be enough to take care of imperial taxation. This surplus will be harder to sell once Argrath (or rather Mularik) takes over, reducing the net worth of the kingdom.

Otherwise, Furthest gets to see most of the wares northbound from Boldhome, earning from tolls. That would not change under any ruler.

23 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Potentially sea salt could also come up the Oslir from Elz Ast/White Sea as well at least when the delta isn't frozen solid, but caravans with salt from Heortland seem likely.

Salt brine evaporation powered by the sun doesn't work well in cold climate. The water needs to be boiled off, which means fuel needs to be spent. If there are salt marshes, air-dried saline peat might be used as fuel, then added to the brine to increase salinity. (Air-drying peat works fine in cold climate...)

23 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

The southern parts of Tarsh that are in rebellion are probably going to see less of anything coming south on the Oslir.

What are the main exports from the Heartlands to Tarsh? Mostly payment for the luxuries required by Lunar nobility, which would have to come regardless of changes in the regime. The hilly parts

23 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

This looks like an opportunity for the Salt trade to restructure.

Given the amount of marine fossils found at Snake Pipe Hollow and presumably under other parts of the Rockwoods foothills, deposits of salt in the mountains shouldn't be that rare. In that FB thread on Sartarite trade, Jeff replied to my mention of the salt trade as an item of potential importance in the Sartarite revenues:

I'm silent about salt because it is a rounding error here. Salt is pretty plentiful and likely not an important part of long-distance trade here. But even if it was, that is not at all the point of the post which was to look at the royal economy of the Kingdom of Sartar. You want to talk about salt mines, that's fine but start a new thread.

• Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis