New Version of Comae Engine Available Now

clarence

I’m so happy to announce v0.98 of The Comae Engine! We're almost at v1.0, which means there will be a print version soon.

And the massive interest in this modern d100 ruleset continues. It has sold more in four months than any of my previous titles and there are now three 3rd party games and settings in the works - with more to come. I would even go so far as to call it a surprise hit. (To be quite honest, I expected to sell around 50 copies, with five of them to my mum).

This new version features comprehensive examples of Extended Conflicts, including lockpicking, combat, searching for clues, and several others.

shopcover1.thumb.png.b8fd7889496d0c74440a81b147cb0b85.png

Get it before the price goes up

As page count has increased to 52, I will also adjust the price next week. So, if you haven’t got the PDF already, make sure to grab it before Wednesday. Here’s the link: 

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/418884/The-Comae-Engine

Also, check out the sneak peek of the next mini-release, a free pack of pre-generated NPCs for use in most modern settings: 

https://www.frostbytebooks.com/downloads-new

I hope you enjoy them. 

Clarence Redd

www.frostbytebooks.com

NPCSampleEmail1.jpg.695fbf9925fe15d9dfd25349e636bbef.jpg

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

• 3 months later...

Hi Clarence

I picked up Comae Engine yesterday and have been reading it now. It looks amazing, and i really like the look of this game. Thank you for creating it and bringing it the community.

I'm really interested in trying to use the system for something, but i'm not sure what. Thinking of that (and since there is no setting in the game) I wondered if you had any ideas or examples of what the game has been used to run? I am aware of M-Space and Odd Soot which i suppose are examples - but beyond those?

Since i like adapting rule-systems and tinkering with them to adapt them i was also thinking of using the Conflict pools to power abilities, magics or the like. Probably quite obvious, but do you know if any has done something like that (even yourself maybe :-))

Thanks again for a great game 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2023 at 12:19 PM, Crisippo said:

Hi Clarence

I picked up Comae Engine yesterday and have been reading it now. It looks amazing, and i really like the look of this game. Thank you for creating it and bringing it the community.

I'm really interested in trying to use the system for something, but i'm not sure what. Thinking of that (and since there is no setting in the game) I wondered if you had any ideas or examples of what the game has been used to run? I am aware of M-Space and Odd Soot which i suppose are examples - but beyond those?

Since i like adapting rule-systems and tinkering with them to adapt them i was also thinking of using the Conflict pools to power abilities, magics or the like. Probably quite obvious, but do you know if any has done something like that (even yourself maybe :-))

Thanks again for a great game 

Hi Crisippo, thank you for your kind words! I’m happy you enjoy Comae Engine.

Regarding settings, there is a bit of horror in the works and a few more where the setting is yet to be revealed. I have also test played Comae Engine in a sci-fi setting 70 years into the future and it’s been lots of fun.

And as always, I tinker with various detective stories that could take place almost any time during the 1900s - with or without paranormal ingredients. Often, they end up modelling Lovecraft, Magnum, Miami Vice and Silo (based on the cool Apple series). Or perhaps something along the lines of The Name of the Rose.

What genres do you enjoy in general?

Magic is one of the things I’ve been working on recently. And at least one more developer is looking into it as well.

The overarching idea is to add a #Paranormal Tag to all spell users and magical creatures. Magic will work as a skill, with individual spells as Focuses. So, it could look like this: Fantasy Magic //Fireball or Witchcraft //Curse. And so on. But you are of course free to come up with something completely different. 

• Like 2

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

4 hours ago, clarence said:

What genres do you enjoy in general?

I enjoy a lot of different settings gaming wise, but i'd have to say that historical fantasy or mythological games are very close to my heart. Pendragon is one of the games I've played the most and certainly over the longest amount of time. I am also running two different Star Wars games atm so "space fantasy" or "sword and planet" is also great. Even the more terrestial "sword and sorcery" is something i quite enjoy.

I was actually thinking of a noir-style detective game or supernatural thriller when i first read Comae Engine which feels fitting since you mentioned detective stories. I'm going to a convention here in Norway in early october and i'm considering writing a con scenario and if i do i'm inclined to use Comae Engine. I think the rules are fairly easy to explain. Extended conflicts basically give all challenges (not just combatre challenges) "hit points" which most gamers grasp fairly easily.

4 hours ago, clarence said:

The overarching idea is to add a #Paranormal Tag to all spell users and magical creatures. Magic will work as a skill, with individual spells as Focuses. So, it could look like this: Fantasy Magic //Fireball or Witchcraft //Curse. And so on. But you are of course free to come up with something completely different. 

This looks good of course, but i'm thinking of genres where dabbling in, say, magic is dangerous or comes with a personal cost. I think i can see using magic draining POW or INT (or any of the pools depending). I see that POW is also meant to rate magical affinity so that fits.

BTW; my local gaming store here in Oslo has a tuesday rpg salon where someone ran a Comae Engine adventure last tuesday. I was unable to attend anyway and didn't see the posting thursday or friday. The synchronicity of that with me finding out about the game and picking it up just made me laugh. So thought i'd share.

Edited by Crisippo
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Crisippo said:

I enjoy a lot of different settings gaming wise, but i'd have to say that historical fantasy or mythological games are very close to my heart. Pendragon is one of the games I've played the most and certainly over the longest amount of time. I am also running two different Star Wars games atm so "space fantasy" or "sword and planet" is also great. Even the more terrestial "sword and sorcery" is something i quite enjoy.

I was actually thinking of a noir-style detective game or supernatural thriller when i first read Comae Engine which feels fitting since you mentioned detective stories. I'm going to a convention here in Norway in early october and i'm considering writing a con scenario and if i do i'm inclined to use Comae Engine. I think the rules are fairly easy to explain. Extended conflicts basically give all challenges (not just combatre challenges) "hit points" which most gamers grasp fairly easily.

This looks good of course, but i'm thinking of genres where dabbling in, say, magic is dangerous or comes with a personal cost. I think i can see using magic draining POW or INT (or any of the pools depending). I see that POW is also meant to rate magical affinity so that fits.

BTW; my local gaming store here in Oslo has a tuesday rpg salon where someone ran a Comae Engine adventure last tuesday. I was unable to attend anyway and didn't see the posting thursday or friday. The synchronicity of that with me finding out about the game and picking it up just made me laugh. So thought i'd share.

I’m in Göteborg, about 2-3 hours from Oslo! And I had no idea there was a game store in Oslo. Very cool that they ran Comae Engine. What’s the name of the shop?

Noir sounds like a perfect match. And, as you say, the rules should be easy enough for a con scenario. I would love to hear what you come up with. 

Fantasy sci-fi - or mythic sci-fi as I often think of it - is one of my favourite genres. But leaning more towards Star Wars than Buck Rogers and planetary romance. 

For magic, draining POW or INT is what I had in mind as well. A mechanic for corruption might be a good complement in some settings. 

I’ve also been working on Talents, a semi-magical system for low-power stuff like danger sense and animal whisperer. It might fit with a noir setting perhaps?

• Like 1

On 8/20/2023 at 5:26 PM, clarence said:

What’s the name of the shop?

The shop is called Outland, it's the Norwegian equivalent of SFBok in Sweden, but with quite a few shops around the country (all the largest cities and a few smaller ones). I know the guy responsible for events at the Oslo shop, so i keep up with what's happening there.

On 8/20/2023 at 5:26 PM, clarence said:

I’ve also been working on Talents, a semi-magical system for low-power stuff like danger sense and animal whisperer. It might fit with a noir setting perhaps?

Yes, that sounds like a great fit. There was a swedish game called Noir 10-15 years ago that had a setting with some supernatural almost horror elements woven into an early 20th century type metropolis. I enjoyed that setting a lot (not so much the rules after a while) and was thinking of taking some inspiration from that setting for my con scenario.

Edited by Crisippo
clarity
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Noir has a good reputation around here. I’ve never played it though. For me, Comae Engine has worked really well out of the box for noir-ish scenarios. But some Talents would be a good addition. And Sanity. Have you come any further with your ideas?

I will look up Outland! It’s very tempting to go to Oslo for a weekend and check it out : ) With Comae Engine soon to be available in print, it might be a good time.  

19 hours ago, g33k said:

Ever since discovering UA's "Madness Meter" system, I have favored that over CoC-style "Sanity." 

Yes, I agree. It’s been a while since I used it, but now I will have to dig out my copy and give it a try. 

• Like 2