Great Wheel House

Erol of Backford

3 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

I tried to find it on the huge and beautiful map of Nochet but gave up after a bit...

It seems like there is a lot of potential for plot links, LM research on giants and Nochet history.

Any info is appreciated!

Well, you won't find it on the map as it existed/exists only in the Godtime!

This place existed aeons in the past. It was broken, drowned by floods, buried by the dirt of ages, etc. It's why you don't see it in the Darkness Age map in the Esrolia book, p.33 nor in the First Age map, p.41.

If there are remnants, then you can figure out by triangulating against Kena Hill and Swapmeet (the latter is what is now the South Market), that the location must have been somewhere under what is now either the Dark Warrens of the trolls, House Hulta, and/or Imarja's temple. 

Note: it does not appear on the Undercity map either, including the Dark Warrens themselves, so if it is there, it is deeper still!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Note: it does not appear on the Undercity map either, including the Dark Warrens themselves, so if it is there, it is deeper still!

Great LM research opportunity and if it involves the Dark Warrens even better.Any Dar Warren's maps out there or just combine Sanctuary, Pavis and other tunnels to make up something?

Esrolia book has some old maps which could lead to subterranean excavations assisted by dwarves... Thank you Jaja!

Edited by Erol of Backford

1 hour ago, Erol of Backford said:

Any Dar Warren's maps out there or just combine Sanctuary, Pavis and other tunnels to make up something?

Not yet published. But it's largely confined to an area roughly equivalent to that aboveground due to aqueducts and sewers and the cellars/basements of other buildings. However, trolls do dig around. There's four troll clans so they have their own areas within the Dark Warrens.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

We'll be really happy if you do a cross section of Notchet

That I won't be doing! 🙂 

4 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

I assume Gonn Orta worked there for a while when he was young.

I would not assume that. The first information we have of him is off in Nida, if I recall correctly, during the First Age. I'd keep him somewhere north of the Rockwoods - maybe involved at Dorastor for awhile, freeing the jolanti from the dwarfs, settling in the Rockwoods to fashion the giant cradles in the 2nd Age.

Nochet has Vogarth Big Man, one of the Silver Age heroes, as its famous strongman.

On the other hand, the text of Nochet in Harmast's Time does talk about the Great Wheel House as still in existence, and mentions it's too strong to be destroyed, even if it is broken and abandoned.

Comparing the maps of green and dark ages Nochet, it may have been in a similar location to the old Garzeen Temple (abutting the marshes/old riverbed). It's possible the ruins may lie beneath the Great Square, or were finally disassembled to help build the walls of the Sacred City.

• Helpful 1

3 hours ago, Tindalos said:

Comparing the maps of green and dark ages Nochet, it may have been in a similar location to the old Garzeen Temple (abutting the marshes/old riverbed). It's possible the ruins may lie beneath the Great Square, or were finally disassembled to help build the walls of the Sacred City.

Well, this! Of course, in the days of the Shadowlands after Arkat brought down the Bright Empire Nochet built the Sacred City, and what better to do than take stone blocks that are too strong to be destroyed!  Whether part of the Sacred City walls or incorporated into the palaces within (which are ever recycled into something new on the whims of the next queen), this seems likely to be the fate of most of the Great Wheel House.

On 5/21/2023 at 7:01 PM, jajagappa said:

what better to do than take stone blocks that are too strong to be destroyed

Walk the streets of Seville and you'll see many examples of column sections set in building walls. It seems they are accentuated rather than plastard over. The Great Wheel House was likely made of huge cyclopean stone sections not the small mortal examples here. Curious what the size of the Wheel House might have been. So many of the gods and giants were discussed as being very large and so their stone milling disk could have been 300' in diameter?

I am thinking I like the idea of it being part of some enormous subterranean cavern, the cavern is the wheel house? Who knows, possibly its flooded and is now the lair of some hydra or worse? I go back to natural caverns under Nochet, deep down, deep...?

image.png.d9f102872966e77dcc43db93a3be60c0.png Cave - Limestone Dissolution, Gypsum Rock, and Surface Erosion | Britannica

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
22 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

The location of the Great Wheel House in the Green Age is known per the map in Esrolia: The Land of Ten Thousand Goddesses p.27.

Well, sort of. Those maps are not exactly accurate. (I.e. compare to my map and look at Storm Hill, the Grace Temple, the Whippost Market, and Kena Hill - you'll find the locations don't quite match, e.g. Orlanth Temple a bit too far north, and it is not a site that moves about.)

22 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

If we assume that its still there but underground

You'll likely be under either the Sacred City or amidst the Dark Warrens. Try digging in the Sacred City and you'll have a whole lot of sacred guardians (serpents, spirits, Snake Daughters, Babeester Gor cultists, and more) after you. Try digging in the Dark Warrens, and the trolls might take a fancy to you as part of their next meal... 😉 

• Like 1