Ki Khanga: The Sword and Soul Role Playing Game: Powered by Open Quest.

Stoatbringer

Has anybody seen this? Would anyone who has this care to post a review? It looks interesting.  Ki Khanga: The Sword and Soul Role Playing Game: Powered by OpenQuest: Amazon.co.uk: Ojetade, Balogun, Davis, Milton: 9781096136057: Books

Edited by Stoatbringer
  • Helpful 1

"Foolish is the king who does not have a personal wizard, and lamentable is the ruler who trusts the wrong mage"

• 6 months later...

This OQ edition of Ki Khanga does not diverge significantly ruleswise from OQ second edition. A lot of the creatures are quite unimaginatively OQ creatures given africanised names. Unicorns are called woshins, etc. But there are a few weirder creatures like the Oga'koi'koi, and impundulu. Where it does diverge in the rules it has only a points build system for PCs, and rules for utilising both herbs and gemstones for their effects/powers. Obviously the greatest divergence from OQ is the precolonial fantasy Africa setting, which mixes real places and fictional ones. If anyone is planning on buying it, you may be interested that there is Ki Khanga:The Anthology which has short tales in it that help with the style and adventures in the setting. 

Edited by Tirapheg

I was a backer of the original game on Kickstarter, which had its own system. It was ok, very a first edition in quality and I expected a second edition to follow quickly.  But the creator seemed to get sidelined by his desire to generate a series of novels/novellas in the setting. The justification seemed to be that he needed to generate interest in the game by having the stories out there. Ok, I thought, but I'm a gamer, and I'll wait until you return to the game.  

The OpenQuest version is a bit weird in that its never been publically announced or promoted by the creator (!) Not on his Facebook page, not even to the Kickstarter backers. It just quietly slipped out on Amazon about six months to a year after the original game had been released. Despite it being OQ-based, I've given it a pass over the years. Seeing as I found the original game disappointing and in many respects poorly produced, I'm not prepared to take a chance on it. @Tirapheg's comments have confirmed my suspicions 😞

• Like 2

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

• 1 month later...