Augmenting rolls to resist spells

ChrisWentWhere

Resistance rolls can be augmented. Core rulebook: "An adventurer may attempt to gain Runic inspiration to augment skills or increase a character’s chance of success with the resistance table."

Passions, the Moon rune, or skills depending on the situation might all be allowed by the GM.

I think it makes sense to have all resistance rolls be player facing. Players like to roll dice, the GM typically doesn't.

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ChrisWentWhere said:

I have so far not been allowing players to augment rolls to resist spells simply because I could not find an example of it being done, but am I incorrect in this assumption?

p. 246 with an example on p. 247. Note that runic inspiration is immediate while it takes time to augment a spell or magical resistance with a skill. Differently from the rules, I would allow defensive actions (parrying or dodging) if the character is singing or speaking in a magical tongue.

In my table, this is how I treat the augments for resistance rolls.

Runic inspiration - Yes if applicable runes
Passion - Yes, if the passion is applicable

Skills - Probably no, unless it's been prepared beforehand somehow, like when entering the scene the character is constantly doing the activity like praying while walking in the valley of the darkness, or something.

And yes, I also let the player roll all the resistance rolls where their character is involved in, unless exceptional circumstances.

Addendum: Typically I wouldn't bother having my monsters or NPC's try augmenting resistances, but I wonder how it would work if they did try to do that, as there's only one roll at the resistance table. Any ideas?

Edited by tnli