bee cults /Aldrya ?

CHANT

On 9/5/2023 at 5:26 AM, French Desperate WindChild said:

unnecessary if you consider flowers are pollen recipients etc... what  if you consider flower as flower, and nothing more, nothing related to pollination ?

Or if you consider flowers as a gift of the goddesses, to feed people, to feed beast, or just to be beautiful, we need them 🙂

Our ancestors saw flowers before someone understood the role of pollen. I imagine they did not say that flowers were unnecessary.

as i don't need pollination (even if i need flowers 😛 

Our ancestors must have observed that fruit trees flower and then fruit davelops from the flowers.

figs are an exception, where the fliwer is the fruit.  But that is not so obvious.

• Like 1

While the subject is fresh, our friend in southern Indiana ordered a queen bee for his new hive boxes a year or 2 ago. It seems like the hive(s) are prospering?

How does one obtain a new queen bee to start their own giant bee hive? The bee hive is noted as bee-ing over 100' high but only 50-60 bees dwell in it?

In Into Troll Realms its a 5,000 lunar fine if the queen is killed.

Could arrangements be made for a queen bee to be purchased and if so what would the cost be, tripe or quadruple that?

Where are there other giant bee hives in Genertela?

Guessing there is more than one in and or around the Vale of Flowers? 

Do all of them have troll bee keepers or per this thread would not some of them be tended by elves?

Has anyone messed around with a chaos tainted bee hive? Human or goat headed bees? Honey that give chaos gifts and taints you?

Maybe the honey is actually sticky black chaos ichor?

1 hour ago, mfbrandi said:

Gorakiki Fig Wasp

Getting close to scorpionmen with the stinger and broo with the development inside a fig... in my mind, might be chaotic?

Or, rogue trollkin use humanoid hosts to grow larva to make an army of giant fig wasps, they must know the trollkin of the  Munchrooms!?

Like flying trollkin in the Into Troll Realms p.38 it already has the larva, maybe they already burst from the unfortunate hosts?

On 9/9/2023 at 2:24 PM, mfbrandi said:

Gorakiki Fig Wasp, that’d be some cult!

life-cycle-fig-wasp.thumb.webp.8e5e8ecd99d17db2b4ad5af82c16b455.webp

Fig wasos are pretty small in the Real World, sincetgey can crawl inside a fig.

in Glorantha of course they would be scaked to the figs.  i can see it now. domewhere in tbe Uz realms, maybe on the Shadow Plateau, maybe in Pamaktela-  there are fig trees so big the figs are the size of suitcases, and the fig wasps are the size of mice.

The harvesters carry one fig in each hand.

i really like the idea.  I really like figs, planted two fig trees when we moved into our house.

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
Spelling / typing size not suze
  • Haha 1

On 9/9/2023 at 7:01 PM, Erol of Backford said:

So northern bound caravans would bring them. I envision Red Eye's kin similar to the Kuro-buta in Japan, black pig which is especially good as a breaded cutlet, bulldog sauce with shredded cabbage.

I would expect the cook usually has to work with dried figs, because fresh figs do not keep well.  Also that dried figs are the long distance trade commodity.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Reading online: Queens cannot create a new colony alone: You'll need a nuc or bee package to start a colony, both of which include a queen. However, there are some circumstances where you may need to order a queen, rather than a nuc or package.

So where do we get our queen bee in Glorantha and how much would it cost?

Maybe we could arrange a deal with the Wasp's Nest to get wasps and have them make some honey though not nearly as promising... The amount of honey that the Mexican honey wasp makes is minimal compared to a honeybee. However, it is edible by humans and tastes like maple syrup.

(still no word on the Into the Wasps Nest but still hoping to get a copy)

How far north would one see the citrus crop Mr. Sten noted in another thread being at Monros: This city, named after a Second Age king, is located at the junction of two important roads and a ferry across the Lyksos River. A rich sanctuary of the goddess Ernalda and her warrior daughter Vinga is outside the city walls, surrounded by citrus orchards.

Wondering about orange marmalade and would they use use sugar beats to sweeten it as sugar doesn't seem to be prevalent?