Associated cults questions

ChrisWentWhere

Can I just clarify something about Associated Cults. 

I saw in RQG that you can learn any spirit spell from an associated cult (except special cult spirit spells like Sleep I have assumed). So we have an Issaries player with Bladesharp from Orlanth for example. 

But looking through Lightbringers I am seeing that Associated Cults only provide specific spirit spells (like Ernalda providing Second Sight and Chalana Arroy providing Heal to Orlanth the cult for example). Am I reading that correctly? I am not complaining just trying to get my head around it. 

Cheers

8 minutes ago, ChrisWentWhere said:

I saw in RQG that you can learn any spirit spell from an associated cult (except special cult spirit spells like Sleep I have assumed). So we have an Issaries player with Bladesharp from Orlanth for example. 

But looking through Lightbringers I am seeing that Associated Cults only provide specific spirit spells (like Ernalda providing Second Sight and Chalana Arroy providing Heal to Orlanth the cult for example). Am I reading that correctly? I am not complaining just trying to get my head around it.

IMO it is about who can teach you this spell, and at which price discount. Spirit spells granted by an associated cult can be taught by Rune masters of your own cult, provided the associated cult has enough of a presence in that holy place.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

9 minutes ago, ChrisWentWhere said:

That's from the shrines to the Associate Gods in the main god temples.  If they want other spirit magics, they have to go to the associate god's temple and join as a lay member.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisWentWhere said:

I saw in RQG that you can learn any spirit spell from an associated cult (except special cult spirit spells like Sleep I have assumed).

Yes

So we have an Issaries player with Bladesharp from Orlanth for example.

Yes.

But looking through Lightbringers I am seeing that Associated Cults only provide specific spirit spells (like Ernalda providing Second Sight and Chalana Arroy providing Heal to Orlanth the cult for example). Am I reading that correctly?

Yes. The new cults books provide an extra level of detail. You can of course ignore it. I'll be updating Spirit Magic by Cult and Associate Cult soon, to reflect that.

If the associate cult lists no specific spirit magic spells, you can assume that they will teach any of their spirit magics to initiates (except of course specials).

Note that you learn the spirit magic from Rune levels of the associated cult:

Spirit magic can usually be learned from an associate cult on the same terms as the associate cult provides for its own members.

Note that one of your cult's Rune levels may teach you the same spell if they know it (at normal costs), as Rune levels may teach you any spirit magic spells they know.

This also makes associate cults with shaman very useful. Eg Storm Bull Initiates can learn virtually any spirit magic from Waha shaman.

(added to Q&A)

• Like 1

Thanks, that's great. 

Looking at that chart also sort of answered another question I had brewing. For Odayla I noticed that Daka Fal is an Associated cult and it says "his cult is often combined with ancestor worship" and I wondered how does that work? 

Then I spotted that Odayla has access to every non cult special spirit magic spell as an associate of Daka Fal. So I guess that's how that works!  

Cheers

• Like 1