Gm screen pack map scale?

Mordante

4 hours ago, Jose-san said:

I did some comparisons with distances with other maps and I got an approximate scale of about 1.6 - 1.7 km/cm

Which, for those of us who work in Imperial, is 1 mile to the cm.  1.6 km = 1 mile.

That suits me as I prefer to work in miles when in Glorantha.  Kilometres I find too modern and a bit jarring, and being a Brit it's easier for me and my players to use miles as that's what we're attuned to. We use the starter set map, over which I've put a 3 mile hex grid to make estimates even easier; crossing 1 hex takes approx. 1 hr on foot, 6 hexes travelled per day. 

I'm not averse to using km and switch happily between most metric and imperial measures, and use km for my sport. That said, when driving in Europe I still find reducing km distances to 2/3 to give me approx. miles easier as all my estimates for time taken and fuel used are attuned to miles.

Edited by Cloud64
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 10:02 AM, Jose-san said:

I did some comparisons with distances with other maps and I got an approximate scale of about 1.6 - 1.7 km/cm

Which is fine until you view it on a monitor and expand in to it. That's why I prefer a scale being physically present on the map, showing distance in miles and kilometres.

• Like 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

4 hours ago, Jose-san said:

This is a neat idea! 🙂

It's easy enough, if a little fiddly. A quick google will turn up a transparent hex grid png. Use an image editor to put it in as a layer and tweak the size till the hexes are the size you desire, then you may have to tile the grid to get full coverage. Once done and exported as a flat image the resizing problem that @soltkass mentioned goes away, and the scale doesn't disappear off screen when you zoom in.

• Thanks 1