Creating New Sorcery Spells for a Pleasure Cult

I need to expand upon the sorcery spell list, specifically for a cult of hedonists. My first question is how to assign appropriate spell levels to my new spells (as far as I can tell, spell-level seems pretty arbitrary). My second question is, can anyone direct me to some alternate sources that may have spells with a pleasure/hedonist flare that I can use/revamp? I already have most of the Elrik!/Stormbringer books as well as Call of Cthulhu... I'm getting ready to look through Dreamlands in a moment. Thanks!

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."

~Albert Einstein~

I have a cult of Hedonists in my campaign. They use spells like Glamour (things that basically increase Charisma or social skills), Stamina (for obvious reasons), Sleep (to help rest after a long night), and so on. My favourite, though, is Hashtu's Caress, a spell that basically fills the recipient with good feeling. It has many uses, of course - it acts as a drug to attract people to the temple, it can be used in easing the real pain (but not HP) of those wounded in battle, and best of all it could be used to numb people to reality.

GM: "The Hashtu Priestess mumbles a ritual and..." (rolls dice) "you feel a sensation of intense pleasure wash over you. Then, with a smile, she stabs your arm with her sharp little knife."

PLAYER: "Crap! I didn't see that coming. I try to dodge. Arggh! Too clumsy!"

GM: "Too late, the knife opens a large gash in your arm as you try to pull away."

PLAYER: "Figures! How much damage did I take?"

GM: (makes note on his sheet) "You can't tell. Your pleasure receptors are all on fire. If feels amazing. You can see blood rushing down your arm, but in a good way, if you know what I mean. Don't worry, I'll keep track of how many hit points you have left here."

Players really squirm when they can't tell how close to death they are, and they never expect to have that ability taken away!

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

I like your style.

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."

~Albert Einstein~

Players really squirm when they can't tell how close to death they are, and they never expect to have that ability taken away!

I do this all the time :) It is much more fun describing a wound (and effect) than giving it a number. I do a lot of rolls behind the scenes for similar reason :)

As to a pleasure cult... if it has a bit of an evil twist it could have a summon succubi/incubi spell, demonic pleasure slave type things although I imagine they would be a little more than that if not handled right :)

The Glamour spell for +APP would be good as mentioned, a spell for entering a dreamstate (got the idea from dreamlands title you mention, ive not read the book however) which could draw other 'dreamers' into your dreamstate where dreamers (including caster) would have power to manipulate the dream based on POW rating (would likely use POW to replace each statistic in the dream version of themselves also or such)

Ok so thats just the start of some wierd idea :) but your welcome to it if it interests (as I wrote this I am probably going to make my own little dreamstate system also for one of my game world magic systems)

Hi,

For my Mesopotamian settings, I did the following for the prostitutes, the goddess Innana (love, but not the castrated love of our judeo-christian culture) and the god Shulpa’e (youth vigor):

Skill erotism: how to arouse and satisfy sexual desire: body and voice language, make-up, sexual practices…and how to guess the hidden desires. Allows psychological domination (e.g. INT vs. APP to resist any request)

Spell Innana’s grace: charm all present creatures, wanting to help. If APP vs. INT (or only APPx5% for non-intelligent animals) is a success, the creatures fall in love (animals of opposite sex want to mate)

Spell Priapism. As in the tittle.

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

My first question is how to assign appropriate spell levels to my new spells (as far as I can tell, spell-level seems pretty arbitrary).

I need to sit down with a book in front of me to do this justice, but here's a rough guide.

Quick break down as I see it.

1MP (Three Types)

1. This is a basic spell that will grant they caster a single ability that doesn't directly harm another character. Stuff like seeing through an unintelligent creature's eyes, causing a light to appear or obscuring and area. Simple, one purpose magic tricks.

2. More direct spells than the first example, these spells will increase the caster's chance of harming or affecting another character by a small amount, but there is some sort of save mechanism involved such as MP:MP or POW:POW.

3. Gateway Spells. These spells act as a starting point for much more powerful spells. Things like demon and elemental summonings.

2MP

More powerful than 1MP spells, these spells can effect temporary change in the subject. I think Heal sits here.

3MP

This spell type either has multiple effects or can do direct damage with a save. They can also cause permanent change (such as repair) in inanimate objects.

4MP are generally specialty spells that are flashy and cause change in the environment or in the individual.

1-4MP

These spells generally augment skills, abilities or item effectiveness on a 1MP to 3 Stat increase, a 1MP to 20% skill increase or a 1MP to 1 damage point increase. Sometimes casting the spell at 4MP causes additional effects.

Very generic break down.

70/420

These are all great ideas, I really appreciate the responses! I actually had an idea for a spell called Dreamers' Liaison that would allow the sorcerer to connect individuals in their dreams for some... private time... I hadn't though of using POW to determine the ability of manipulating the dream state though. I'll post the spells for you all to check out once I find the opportunity (at work now...)

~Albert Einstein~

Real fast (I threw these together during my lunch break)... BTW, thanks Chaot, that was really helpful!

New Sorcery Spells

Greater Healing (4)

Range: Touch

Heals 2D3 and can be used on the same wound multiple times.

The following spells are specifically practiced the Pentat Celebrant Order of Dreams.

Beauty of Beeah’tay (5)

Range: Sight

+15 to APP

In addition to the bonus to APP, the sorcerer can attempt to or charm/dominate a target with POW vs POW contest on the Resistance Table (model this after Mind Control page 118). Target must be able to see and understand the sorcerer (simple body language does apply).

Vision of the Garden Empyreal (1)

Range: Sight

power point vs power point

The target is overwhelmed with the beauty of the world all around (treat as Muddle page 132).

Touch of Yearning (2)

POW vs POW or the target feels tremendous ecstasy when touched by the sorcerer. These effects can pass on to any weapons the sorcerer wields. The target is unwilling to actively defend (Dodge, Parry or Block) against melee attacks from the sorcerer, for each blow brings tremendous ecstasy (though he or she may still strike back). Target must make a Luck roll to move out of range of the sorcerer’s attacks.

White Smoke of Ool (1)

Range: Touch (special)

power point vs power point

The target must be within Range: Touch, but does not need to be physically touched by the sorcerer. The sorcerer exhales a twisting stream of white smoke into the target’s face. If the target fails the power point vs power point contest on the Resistance Table, he/she is immediately subjected to powerful hallucinations and must make a Luck roll every round to act normally or react appropriately to the situation at hand.

Dream Liaison (1)

Range: Site

This spell allows the sorcerer to unite any sleeping individual he or she can see, in virtual dreamscape of the sorcerer’s own creation. The targets can attempt to wake up with a successful POW vs POW contest on the Resistance Table.

Ecstasy (3)

Similar to Unbreakable Bonds (page 139) only the target is thrown into ecstatic ecstasy and can do nothing but writhe and moan. The target can attempt to break free of the sorcerer’s hold by making a power point vs power point contest on the Resistance Table.

Eternal Lover (1)

Range: Self, Site

Same as Summon Demon but this spell only summons incubi or succubi.

Edited by LivingTriskele

~Albert Einstein~

My pleasure, sir.

Looks pretty good at a once over. Something to consider. Many spells use MP vs MP rather than POW vs POW. The POW rolls are generally saved for things like bindings. Actually, I'm thinking most spells are MP:MP. The obvious affect this has is to make a caster more potent when they begin casting spells and slowly wear themselves down.

The thing I would look out for when dealing with POW vs POW is the stat check though. If you succeed in a POW vs POW roll against someone with a higher POW than you, you get a chance to increase your POW. Having a lot of spells with POW vs POW is going to give your players plenty of opportunities to bounce their POW up. Now, this could be a positive, depending on what kind of game you want to run. I wanted to alert you to the issue though, just in case.

70/420

Thanks, those are good points. I'm thinking of changing "Touch of Yearning" and "Beauty of Beeah’tay" to power point vs power point contests... What do you think?

~Albert Einstein~

Know what. Hold on and let me grab my book instead of pulling it out of my arse. Be right back.

Edit: I think changing them to power point vs power point is a good idea. I'll buy Dream Liaison is POW vs POW. You could also make it POW vs INT if breaking the spell was more cerebral and less soulful.

All in all, I think you've some really solid spells there though.

Edited by Chaot

70/420

Thanks! I want to refine these and re-post them, maybe with a few more ideas.

~Albert Einstein~

• 2 months later...

That's a good idea! I think I might look into that...

~Albert Einstein~