Consume Mind in RQG

Geoff R Evil

I am trying to run a Thanatar Atyar branch enemy NPC. A main aspect of their scary capability is Consume Mind. Question is, how to translate this into RQG from the Borderlands description. Specifically I am wondering about runespells.

Given Consume mind truly destroys the mind of the person affected, then my assumption is that no runic affiliations are or can be stolen.

so this opens questions

1. what rune points can be used to cast the consumed rune spell? How does that work with stackable spells?

2. How does the Atari cultist cast the consumed rune spell?

My answers/ thoughts for debate

1. Rune points are god gifted so cannot be consumed. The Atyar must use his own rune points to cast the consumed runespells

2. As the Atyar is using Atyar rune points they must have an appropriate runic affiliation to cast the consumed rune spell.

This reduces the absolute power of Consume Mind as far as rune spells are concerned. It is still very powerful, but also means that Atyar will target cultists with similar runes, top of that list, Lankhor Mhy and truth cults, but also troll gods, death gods, chaos gods ( no reason to only consume minds of law cults). It’s still more than capable of helping build a very powerful adversary for my group.

The spell is described fully for RQG in the Red Book of Magic, p.32

This is a most dangerous spell. It drains the totality of the victim’s memory, transferring it to the caster’s mind and leaving the victim a mental vegetable. It can only be cast during a holy day and takes the entire week to perform. Each time it is cast, the caster takes 3D6 general hit point damage, which can be healed normally.

The caster must overcome the target’s POW with their own. If they fail, the entire ritual fails. If the caster fumbles, they collapse into a catatonic trance for 1D6 weeks, leaving them at the mercy of ambitious opponents.

If the spell succeeds, the caster may learn any or all the target’s spirit magic, sorcery, or Rune spells, and obtains the target’s Rune points. All such Rune points cannot be replenished if the caster is not a member of the victim’s cult. The caster can also gain Knowledge and Magic skills that the victim has at at a level higher than the caster’s own ability. For each such skill, the caster attempts a series of rolls as if learning by experience (even if the skill cannot normally be improved by experience). Once the experience gain roll is missed for a given skill, the priest can gain no further expertise in that skill from that victim. The skill values are considered final and include the skill category modifiers. The caster may also learn skills other than Knowledge or Magic category skills, but these permit a single experience roll each. These skills cannot go higher than the caster’s INT×5 or the victim’s skill, whichever is lower. This spell has no effect on priests of Lhankor Mhy. If accidentally cast on such a victim, the caster must still roll in case they fumble.

• Like 1

Regarding usurping rune spells, I suggest consume mind is an attack on the god worshiped by the victim as much as it is an attack on the victim. Tien established in god time he could usurp the powers of other gods. While Atyar is weaker than Tien, he still retains the power to steal rune magic. Who knows how powerful the original spell was.

I suggest rune spells stolen by consume mind should be reusable if the victim was a priest - and can be recharged by worshipping Atyar, celebrating the evil god’s success at stealing a fragment of the power of another god.

• Like 1