Chameleon confusion

I a bit confused by how Chameleon works. I get that it isn't an invisibility spell it makes the caster blend into the background. But I have a confused player and now I am not clear either:

Spell description:  

“The caster blends into the background, permitting use of their Hide skill even while moving.” 

I didn't know that they couldn't use Hide while moving - if someone is creeping up on someone I get them to roll vs Hide. Perhaps with a modifier. So does this just mean that they use their normal Hide skill but have no modifiers for movement? Which are [whatever I make up presumably]. I am assuming this because the next statement says 100% 

And I assume that using a missile weapon or casting a spell is 'moving'. 

“If the user remains still, their Hide skill is automatically 100%, even in the open.” 

This is why I guess that if they are moving they are not automatically hidden. But can people spot them with a good enough roll. So basically what it does is it buffs your Hide Skill up to 100% if you stay still.   

“If the caster engages a foe in melee, the foe must succeed in a Scan roll each round to attack, parry, or dodge the caster.”

So here the opponent just needs to make a simple roll irrespective of what the caster does. 

Sorry, I am a bit confused by this...  How do other people interpret it?

8 minutes ago, ChrisWentWhere said:

I didn't know that they couldn't use Hide while moving - if someone is creeping up on someone I get them to roll vs Hide. Perhaps with a modifier.

If you're trying to move while hiding (creeping up on a foe), you have to roll for Move Quietly and augment with Hide. (If your focus is more on hiding and move quietly to stay out of sight, do the reverse, roll on Hide and augment with Move Quietly).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

If you're trying to move while hiding (creeping up on a foe), you have to roll for Move Quietly and augment with Hide. (If your focus is more on hiding and move quietly to stay out of sight, do the reverse, roll on Hide and augment with Move Quietly).

Yes I’ve been doing that. but what does Chameleon do to modify this?

11 minutes ago, Runeblogger said:

For me it's like the Predator camouflage, you can only try to spot it when it is moving, otherwise it is extremely difficult.

predator-sneak.gif

That is exactly what prompted the discussion at the table! And it emerged one of the players had never seen it, which I am glad to say has now been rectified.