Pol Joni Question

svensson

6 hours ago, David Scott said:

The situation goes back to how it was pre-1572 - there are now Praxians back on the city council as it was at the time of the city founding. With that, no raiding Pavis county.

Maybe in your Glorantha. But realistically not all tribes are represented on the Pavis Council, in fact only one, and although that one represents the White Bull, he does not speak for all the members of all tribes or clans. In addition almost all White Bull Prax Ian’s went with Argrath to Sartar. So in my Glorantha that weak Praxian leadership has had little effect on control of most Praxians left behind. The Pol Joni were not called upon by Argrath, and arguably (YGMV) cannot join the white bull as they were never in the covenant. So few sacked Paris and even fewer follow Argrath to Sartar, in fact, the fact so many Praxians have done so, gives them a chance to establish control of better grazings. The offer of Pavis County, is different, no tribes claim grazing rights there as a main wander area of the roaming nomads. So I feel it’s a strong offer and at least some Pol Joni will bite on the opportunity.

On 3/22/2024 at 1:48 PM, Nick Brooke said:

I don’t think it’s my original idea. The Pol-Joni are Sartar’s allies, and form a buffer against raiders from the Plains: it would seem weird if the Kingdom of Sartar or the Pol-Joni Tribe were happy for its merchants to arm their enemies.

They might not be happy, but in a pre-modern state their means of actually enforcing a trade ban is wholly inadequate. Traders will generally just keep doing their thing, though it will become somewhat riskier.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ynneadwraith said:

They might not be happy, but in a pre-modern state their means of actually enforcing a trade ban is wholly inadequate. Traders will generally just keep doing their thing, though it will become somewhat riskier.

Agree. In 6 seasons game I am playing in, our group just had to go into Prax to negotiate release of some clan thralls, and I ended up trading my complete plate armour set to a Bison Khan in exchange for 8 clan Haraborn thralls. No one told me not to and bugger any Sartarite lord that tries to tell me I should not have done so.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2024 at 12:12 AM, svensson said:

Given that the Pol Joni are 'invaders' in Prax and are considered the 'clan of outlaws', do they ever ride zebras?

On the one hand, it could ease relations with Praxian tribes. On the other, there are good 'Stafford reasons' why they don't.

The Zebra Tribe also have their own bandit tribe in the Big Rubble.  The answer is "yes". Derik Pol Joni was good friends with the Grazelanders, and Joraz Kyrem, the creator of the Zebra tribe was Pure Horse.  The Pol Joni and Zebra Tribe have good relations.

• Like 1

Just now, Darius West said:

The Zebra Tribe also have their own bandit tribe in the Big Rubble.  The answer is "yes". Derik Pol Joni was good friends with the Grazelanders, and Joraz Kyrem, the creator of the Zebra tribe was Pure Horse.  The Pol Joni and Zebra Tribe have good relations.

Using Ian Thompson's Pavis 1620 books as a reference, the 'Pavis Royal Guard' are the bandits... thugs and mercenaries hired by the Lunars under command of a Zebra tribesman-turned-brigand. The so-called 'bandits' in the Rubble are actually Zebra Tribe loyalists who resisted the Lunar invasion and had to disperse when the city surrendered.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2024 at 2:32 AM, Ynneadwraith said:

And prices and profit margins will become correspondingly higher.

• Like 1

Just now, svensson said:

Using Ian Thompson's Pavis 1620 books as a reference, the 'Pavis Royal Guard' are the bandits... thugs and mercenaries hired by the Lunars under command of a Zebra tribesman-turned-brigand. The so-called 'bandits' in the Rubble are actually Zebra Tribe loyalists who resisted the Lunar invasion and had to disperse when the city surrendered.

Hagran the Dirty's loyalty is to Hagran the Dirty.  The Lunars barely register that Hagran and the Pavis Royal Guard exists.  They are far more interested in the Halite Mine.

1 hour ago, Darius West said:

Hagran the Dirty's loyalty is to Hagran the Dirty.  The Lunars barely register that Hagran and the Pavis Royal Guard exists.  They are far more interested in the Halite Mine.

@Ian A. Thomson describes it slightly differently, though not much. And he's very clear in his writing that this is not 1000% RQG 'canon'.  However, I find it all [Ok, most of it but not all] to be entertaining enough to be included IMG. I really like the idea of PCs adventuring into the Dragonrise era.

Hagran is portrayed as a hireling, an acceptable tool, and very little more to Sor-Eel and the Lunar administration. Hagran's job is to hold down the zone of the Rubble immediately adjacent to the New Pavis Wall so that they don't have to garrison it with Lunar troops. So far Hagran has performed adequately, if only just, but a party of PCs could bugger that up in a tick.

The Lunars' focus in the Rubble is the revenues of the salt mines and the plundering of the magical and mythical legacy of Old Pavis. BOTH focuses are important, but it depends on who you ask as to which the priority is. For the bureaucrats, the salt mine is just about the only way they're going to get this province to pay for itself. At least, until Raus can get the Grantlands 'running properly' and Sor-Eel can fully pacify the Upper Zola Fel basin anyway. To the temple authorities, the priority is the marriage of the City God Pavis into the Lunar pantheon, which will open the Rubble to a full looting operation. Who knows what God Learner secrets are buried in there? And that's not even getting into the benefits of having the Flintnail Dwarves available to the Empire.

• Like 1