Ernalda's Mirror

So, looking at the Ernalda's Mirror.

Spoiler

The remaking of:

For me there would be 6 parts of the mirror, earth cube has six sides, no other reason, need to locate 5 that are missing besides that which is found as part of the ongoing campaign.

Possibly the first fragment is found to be somewhere insignificant like on a trinket table of Oriane the Peddler from Pegasus Plateau and it leads them to Clearwine and then the Smoking Ruin?

One might be in Snake Pipe Hollow, another could be with Gonn Orta, one of his caves (along with Speaking Wheel), possibly there is one part in the Nochet Stacks or Nochet's Earth Temple, lost or hidden away and forgotten? Is there one in the 3-Emerald Temple? Maybe a part is buried with a priestess in the crypts of Ezel? (Anything written on Ezel besides GtG and other gazetteer notes?)

Cam's Well might be an obvious location for a shard, what draws the snakes there... it's the remains of a God Time palace consisting of white pearlescent walls with a double helical ramp large enough for herd animals to traverse... or very large snakes.

Other thoughts where fragments of the mirror might be and or what clues might lead the PC's to find the other parts?

Curious if the mirror might only attract snakes if in possession of an Ernalda priestess and or if they wish it to do so... YGMV and I don't like snakes much.

I love Dumuzid's post for what happens after the Smoking Ruin scenarios are resolved and is related:

Edited by Erol of Backford
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I like this six-sided mirror, consider associating each with benign/malign earth across the three generational aspects of the goddess. Put all six of them together and you have something that can reflect the image of the goddess to herself as she is.

Cam would definitely have one, as would the grandmummies in Ezel.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

singer sing me a given

After my group completed The Smoking Ruin and gave the mirror to the ambitious

Spoiler

Earth Priestess Daravala, she kept it hanging on her wall. From time to time she would ask the image in the magic mirror who should be the Ernaldan High Priestess of Clearwine, and the Great Goddess she saw reflected in the mirror - who looked just like Daravala - would tell her that she ought to be. Shenanigans ensued.

I like the classics.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, scott-martin said:

Cam would definitely have one, as would the grandmummies in Ezel.

Cam's, Ezel, Smoking Ruin, maybe the trinket table of Oriane the Peddler from Pegasus Plateau or something like that... a great start.

Ezel details?

6 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

Shenanigans ensued.

Would be curious to see point details would be nice of... thank you both.

• Helpful 1

1 hour ago, Erol of Backford said:

One might be in Snake Pipe Hollow, another could be with Gonn Orta, one of his caves (along with Speaking Wheel), possibly there is one part in the Nochet Stacks or Nochet's Earth Temple, lost or hidden away and forgotten? Is there one in the 3-Emerald Temple? Maybe a part is buried with a priestess in the crypts of Ezel?

Cam's Well might be an obvious location for a shard, what draws the snakes there... it's the remains of a God Time palace consisting of white pearlescent walls with a double helical ramp large enough for herd animals to traverse... or very large snakes.

Earth temple in Snakepipe Hollow seems like a logical choice, and I like Cam's Well (vs. the Paps).

In Esrolia, I'd go with the Necropolis over Ezel or Nochet, well within the grasp of Ty Kora Tek.

The other likely place in Esrolia is Asrelia's Hold, however, I'd be more inclined to say that Asrelia took her piece back deep into the Earth and you now have to retrieve it from the Dancing Jar. 

Axe Hall could be another option in Babeester Gor's grisly treasure hold.

(Anything written on Ezel besides GtG and other gazetteer notes?)

See Esrolia: Land of 10k Goddesses. It describes the temple complex there (and for visual look at the cover of Treasures of Glorantha).

Besides the temple complex, the Grandmothers' Council rules there so all 200 noble Houses maintain part-time dwellings there. And of course the priestesses of all the temples have their residences, and Babeester Gor undoubtedly has a chapter house there.

Edited by jajagappa
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Erol of Backford said:

Somehow I thought they were the same.

No, definitely different places! About 30km apart. Ezel is the centerpoint for Ernalda worship, the Necropolis for Ty Kora Tek.

image.png.546c3af012dbeffe35a4728cfcb45af8.png

• Thanks 1

OK, I know it sounds hoaky but... the PC's have all but the last of the mirror fragments and use it to see Necropolis as it was back in the day which happens to shows them likely locations of the last shard at sunrise... something. It'll take a good bit of development but has almost outlined itself in these few entries. Many sessions of game fun for sure.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

12 hours ago, scott-martin said:

mirror.png.02f79eccacc578348dde813e17bfc4ce.png

Ah, but we all know the young princess is really a vampire — “Red as Blood” — but in Glorantha is this a tale told by or against the Lunars? If Christ is Nysalor, it could go either way.

• Helpful 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

7 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

on the back of the mirror … on the missing part of the mirror … is there a picture of Ginna Jar (ghost of Ernalda)?

• Ginna Jar … may be represented as a ghostly queen wearing rags or as an iconic symbol such as a floating jar, footsteps, or an empty place between other Lightbringers. — Prosopaedia (PDF, p. 46)

The ghost of who now?

If we are going with @scott-martin’s six-sided mirror — and why not? I imagine a cube of half-silvered panes (or something equally exotic), rather than a hexagon broken into triangular shards — then let us say the image of Ginna Jar is a blank space on the back of the seventh pane. The seventh pane doesn’t exist, and anyway there is no way to fit it into the jigsaw. No mirror will ever reflect the preening Green One back to herself as Ginna Jar (who is so unassuming that she has no reflection).

See this as pushing against the Ernalda power grab in which the Big Green E claims to be Ginna Jar = Arachne Solara = the ghost of Glorantha. “And look, I am not a ghost, I am alive. I am Glorantha. I am Cosmos!” The really “big” gods are modest and invisible and/or without cult.

Edited by mfbrandi
It/never -> No mirror/ever
  • Helpful 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

1 hour ago, mfbrandi said:

then let us say the image of Ginna Jar is a blank space on the back of the seventh pane. The seventh pane doesn’t exist, and anyway there is no way to fit it into the jigsaw. No mirror will ever reflect the preening Green One back to herself as Ginna Jar (who is so unassuming that she has no reflection).

Clearly Ginna Jar is the back side of the mirror! She always there, but can never be seen (by the living).

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

9 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Clearly Ginna Jar is the back side of the mirror! She always there, but can never be seen (by the living).

This is a copout, please sketch the missing portion of the mirror back in all of Gina Gar's ghostly magnificence and post it.

11 hours ago, mfbrandi said:

If we are going with @scott-martin’s six-sided mirror — and why not?

The idea was that the mirror, see clip below, would or could only be broken into 6 shards... earth cube and all that.

MGF would say its a cubed mirror with the ability to 3D camera areas in god-time and even somehow print or leave residual imaging on some surface somehow... real god powers, snapshots of past time. What the LM's wouldn't do to get their ink stained hand on that...

image.png.eb0c86094e2079491d93540d6a153277.png

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

27 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

This is a copout, please sketch the missing portion of the mirror back in all of Ginna Jar’s ghostly magnificence and post it.

Bit harsh. Perhaps the image of six Lightbringers with a gap where the seventh “should” be is the truest representation. It is the holes in the world that hold it together. Six is the number of the lozenge, but making it seven by adding an absence points us in the direction of Sedenya and Nysalor … and the very hungry caterpillar. Hail Krarshtax! 😉

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST