Chaosium Con '24 RQ session reports?

Beoferret

I ran my RQ scenario "A Road Out of Nowhere" again (also at last year's con), and again the PC's successfully got out of Nowhere, through the Twilight Woods, riddled with the Riddling Raven of the Crossroads, came through the Fog of Ignorance, and defeated the Lunar Heroquesters besieging the Ivory Tower of Knowledge!

Also did a seminar on running Urban Campaigns in Nochet. I thought that went well and decent attendance for the first Saturday morning timeslot.

Also was Count Leonidas of Darleep in HotB. But since they are running HotB again in a few months (at Continuum?), don't want to go spoiling for others who might be there.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I ran Chris Gidlow's freeform scenario Young Thrax (a Tarsh War prequel) for the first time in quite a while. The blurb:

Join newly-promoted General Livius Thrax on his first independent command, a top-secret mission against enemies of the Empire. Can his "Sordid Seven" plumb the depths of the Sewers of Furthest? Or will renewed Proxy Wars belch forth from the Cloaca Maxima?

I didn't warn the players that it was also a Singalong, but they rose magnificently to the occasion.

I sadly couldn't make it to Harald's seminar on Nochet, as I was setting up the community content store at the time.

And I played as Prince Temertain in Home of the Bold, but since it's going to be run again in the UK and Australia I don't want to post any spoilers. The cast was energetic, the costumes were magnificent, the pace was hectic, and I was happy with my personal outcome. Ludo Chabant's stuffed hawk gave me the idea of turning my scholarly beard into a detachable Allied Spirit, which made for good puppeteering fun.

Edited by Nick Brooke
  • Like 7

I played Died in the Wool, a scenario by the late Braeden Harpool, GM'ed by @Andrew Cowie, which was good fun, with a splended final trollball scene that Andrew had modified a little bit from the original. The scenario is available on the JC: https://legacy.drivethrurpg.com/product/419385/Died-in-the-Wool?affiliate_id=1107865, and as part of the collection: https://legacy.drivethrurpg.com/product/468235/RPG-Writer-Workshop-RuneQuest-Adventure-Collection?affiliate_id=1107865.

I was also in Market Day, GM'ed by Terry Belles, a seemingly simple visit to Jonstown to sell an heirloom and buy trade goods, which was certainly not as simple as it seemed, and was also enjoyable. We were completely fooled by what was going on throughout most of it!

My final RQ game was a session of RQ Classic, Family Dinner, run by @RQStaffan. This had a slow and fairly straightforward first half, ramping up into a properly thrilling climax with some very memorable foes. We greatly enjoyed the old-skool feel, especially with the chance to use now-deprecated spells like Harmonise.

I was Old Herb in Home of the Bold - I didn't get the chance to tell any of my shaggy dog stories (not even my Shaggy God Story), but had come armed with plenty of bad Gloranthan jokes. It was indeed fairly hectic, with a huge amount going on that any one character (there were 50) could not possibly take in. Tremendous fun all round, tons of memorable moments, and I'm looking forward to hopefully playing it all over again in July at Continuum! As with the others, I'm avoiding saying too much to avoid spoilers. Perhaps @Divadllah will share the group photo and other details here.

• Like 3

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

5 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

I ran Chris Gidlow's freeform scenario Young Thrax (a Tarsh War prequel) for the first time in quite a while.... I didn't warn the players that it was also a Singalong, but they rose magnificently to the occasion.

I did have the opportunity to play in this, and had a fantastic time! I'm sure the folks down at the bar were wondering what we were singing though!

35 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

I did have the opportunity to play in this, and had a fantastic time! I'm sure the folks down at the bar were wondering what we were singing though!

From memory: The Red Vexillum, Indissoluble Union, Men of Furthest and Hon-eel’s Song (“Ever Lunar”), but not (alas!) Marching Through Sartar.

• Like 1

I am still disappointed that my schedule left me absolutely no time to fit in a RQG game anywhere. Thursday night I was meeting the Tribe, Friday morning I was shopping (and snatched up the very first copy of The Lunar Way on display, which I’m quite happy with), Friday afternoon I had to leave open for dinner with friends, Saturday was just the Jonstown Compendium booth and Home of the Bold, and then I had to scramble out of there Sunday morning. So getting to hear these reports does let me experience that side of the con vicariously, at least.

So that this isn’t completely off-topic (and speaking of which, I’m surprised there was no Con Thread over in the Skull Inn for those of us who don’t use Facebook), I’ll add that Home of the Bold was a blast. It went by in a delightful blur of tense conversations, screaming matches in the street, observed attempts to break down Geo’s door, sacred Earth dances, and attempted seductions. Everyone who plays it this year is going to have a phenomenal time, and if you haven’t picked up the Rough Guide yet, run-don’t-walk to DTRPG.

Anyway, here, have a bonus picture of what my shopping ended up procuring. Frankly, I’m itching for 2025 already.

IMG_3912.thumb.jpeg.001777531437a2807e06148897c87b7e.jpeg

• Like 6

This isn't an RQ session report, but with permission of @Divadllah I can share this photo of (most of) the attendees in the Home of the Bold freeform.

(David asks that the participants please don't give anything away about the content of the game itself!)

HotB Ypsilanti 2024.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

9 hours ago, Jason Farrell said:

Late?  Oh, that's sad.  😞 

That's a charming little scenario, and it only came out a year or two ago...

See: https://www.chaosium.com/blogjourney-to-jonstown-68-rpg-writer-workshop-runequest-adventure-collection-celebrates-new-creators-for-runequest/

• Like 1

--