1st Time PLaying OpenQuest

1000buffalo

Howdy All,

Just a quick note to say I got in my first game (as a player - a huge rarity for me) of OpenQuest last night. My good friend Ben (zomben) ran a kickoff for six players in Pavis. Classic start to a classic campaign. It was nice to actually play in the setting I've been reading for, uh, a few decades. ;)

The group was a good mix of newbs to Glorantha and old-hands (a few old Chaosium RQ rulebooks were sighted at the table, along with a bunch OQ books).

Folks really seemed to enjoy OpenQuest specifically - the speed and smoothness of play was noted in our after play wrap-up.

That was a great session. I was impressed all over again at how smoothly OQ plays. Already planning for the next session!

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

Feel free to give details of the game, and what advantages do you think OP has over, say, Basic Role-Playing?

Advantage-wise, the items that gave OQ the nod for me were the simplified modifiers (major, rather than a bunch of minor ones), the open point buy for skills, no hit locations, simplified combat skills. I also just really liked the book and approach - it just felt more like old RQ.

• 4 months later...

Open character creation with all the right fantasy tropes to pull off the shelf and assemble. This is then married with a great use of BRP/d100 combat mechanics for what should be great hand to hand combat sequences.

The magic system has a solid base which is, like character creation prior, open to any type of customization. You can model the strange power of the Bene Gesserit found Herbert's Dune to the most typical magical conventions. Coming up with fantastical ways to story work your warrior's battle magic spells into the character concept has been great fun. Warrior's can create Berserker Rage, Rangers can create wilderness talents, Duelists can fashion secret combat styles. It's all there!

You can also have the rules set in word format so you can customize the whole kit for your own fantasy creation. A never ending tool box!

The more I reread the rules set the more "house rules" I reflexively usually put it I took back out.

If you have a great fantasy story you want to play, OpenQuest will help you make it fun!

The Vanishing Tower RPG Blog Read about my attempts at FTF RPG in the wilderness!

Considering the attractiveness of OQ due to its relative simplicity, I'm interested to hear peoples' opinion on the Open Quest 2 development (see OpenQuest 2nd Edition Pre-order -- Indiegogo). If the stretch goals are attained, it looks like a lot of new stuff could be added; bringing the book up to 400+ pages. I wonder if this would in fact work against OQ's attractiveness (i.e., simplicity). Could it become a victim of its own success by giving what the fans think they want (or maybe what Newt thinks the fans want)?

132/420

I'm looking for the minimal approach as represented in OQ, and that is why I went for it. For those who want to dig deeper into whether or not OQ2 is what you are looking for I recommend going to Newt's site where he explains why he is releasing it... OpenQuest 2 IndieGoGo campaign, why? | Sorcerer Under Mountain

The Vanishing Tower RPG Blog Read about my attempts at FTF RPG in the wilderness!