Glory in the New Edition of Pendragon

Since I do not know if it may be a mistake, perhaps a "x10" may be right instead of the printed "x100", I noticed this:

I do not know if it is an error. Page 40 lower left side.

To determine your parent’s Glory, if you
do not know it, either go through the Quick
Family History below or roll 6D6 and multiply
the result by 100, then add 2,000 from
Inherited Glory, Knighting, Marriage, and
Title.

Since a middle result of 24, the starting glory of a knight is 4.400 ? Ok, in that there is 1000 points for knighting, but 1000 points for Marriage too, ?

I opened here for discussion, please Moderators, erase if you see fit, the post in the other thread on this forum.

Thanks

Yes, Luca, you are right.

Even if, considering the 1/4 factor, it still may mean that your character starts with 1.100 glory as a young squire, then gets 1000 glory for being risen to knighthood.

So at the first session of a campaign you will have a knight with 2000 Glory, meaning 2 "magic points" to be added where the player wants.

It seems too much, in my humble opinion, that's why I thought it may have been a typographic error.

Both are correct. (Well, 6d6 average roll is 21, but what is that between friends.)

Given the higher Inherited Glory (1/4th), the starting Glory is higher, and this makes it much more likely that the parent's final Glory will be higher, too. Remember, they get the marriage Glory and often Vassal Knight Title Glory, too. It all adds up.

Also, keep in mind that the default here is that the Parent lived through Uther Period and gained Glory from those big battles.

Edited by Morien

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Tizun Thane said:

I completely agree. It's too much to my taste. The 1/10 was enough to me. 

1/4 was very much deliberate to make the parent's career matter more. With 1/10, even if your parent was in the Round Table (8000+), you barely got one Prestige Award out of it. You needed a parent with 12000 Glory in order to get one Prestige Award above the totally unremarkable parent of 2000 Glory. Now it matters if you manage to get loads of Glory, and it makes the family line aspect stronger, as you get more of a leg up. But it is still capped at 4000 Glory, so even if you are a total Nepo Baby, you still have to work your way up to the Round Table.

• 2 weeks later...

What Morien said. Plus, the default in 6e is you are playing a Household Knight and your father is still alive. One thing 5e did was to make your character's father die when the eldest son turns 21 or so, so you inherit it all. But, if you are a younger son, your Glory total is set upon that same death. Thus, when your father died and had perhaps 8,000 Glory, you received one-tenth of that, (i.e., 800), but that same total is then given to every member of the family. In 6e, if your gm allows it, your father may still be adventuring and accumulating Glory, allowing for younger members to inherit a bit more. The cap is still there, so no gaining lots more, but you might be able to adventure with your father as a squire once or twice.

• 2 weeks later...

What strikes me is that the game considers marriage as default for a knight.

It seems appropriate for the time (especially for first born knights), but in my games the default was bachelor knights.

1 hour ago, Mugen said:

What strikes me is that the game considers marriage as default for a knight.

You mean in the family background? Kinda has to, in order to have legitimate children. 🙂

Most knights are still household knights, and need to gain some Glory before being allowed to marry. (I think Respected is too low, but still.)