Brainstorming about "Spells that target all enemies"

2 weeks before starting the campaign, it's happening! yoohoo!
(can't share the campaign yet because it's not as well written as the power system... yet? working on it... ooopsie.. but the synpsis is clear so is "act 1")

Since I also have my own custom power system inspired by master of magic. And reviewing yet again all the spells... this time on the topic on spell resistance - I just realised a major oopsie. Anyway, I thought again about the spells "targeting all enemies on the battlefield"

I am somewhat unhappy with those because of the following few issues:

First what is an ally? It's not like the caster knows everyone personally every time. Plus, there might be a mole in their forces? Or they might be betrayed? And what of unexpected invisible reinforcement? What side are they on?

Also, the term battlefield, which I simplified and specified as "in spell range" with the spell range being skill% in meters, what if you are in a cave system?

Anyway, just a brainstorm... I think I am on the edge of a decision. I already marked those spell as "concentration" meaning they somewhat involve the cognitive power of the caster. Do the give the caster awareness of the enemies though? Should I limit to more or less field of view?

This is a really good bundle folks. Heck, the Grimoire and Berlin books make it worth the money by themselves.

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

A solution would be to have another spell/ritual that puts a magical mark on people in range. When casting an area spell, you could add a condition on it so that it affects only those with that mark (or only those without that mark).

Of course, it means you have to prepare yourself and cast the spell before the battle starts. I would give it a rather long duration, many hours at least, so that it can be cast at the start of the adventuring day.

Similarly, Fireball addicts should cast a Fire Protection spell on their comrades every day. 😄

Edited by Mugen

On 10/21/2024 at 12:11 AM, g33k said:

This is a really odd mis-thread...

Wow, I’m not sure how I accomplished that. Mods, can you please move my post about the CoC bundle to the appropriate place please.

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!