BRP Magic Book: How to use?

axe-elf

Um, guys. After arguing for 25 pages about shields and their use, are you now going to do the same with magic? Can't we all just get along? (Or at least combine the two threads by swatting that sorcerer upside the head with a buckler! >:> )

I have a better idea.....Knight vs. Samurai...discuss....

Um, guys. After arguing for 25 pages about shields and their use, are you now going to do the same with magic? Can't we all just get along? (Or at least combine the two threads by swatting that sorcerer upside the head with a buckler! >:> )

I much prefer just giving Sorcerers a Boot-to-the-Head! So we incorporate a discussion on Martial Arts! ;-)

SDLeary

MAybe, but if you are going to try and fix the various magic systems, you need to strengtrhen Divine, if you want to balance it off against the other two. Since RQ doesn't have many mass/area effect spells, it's hard for the Divine Magicians to hold thier own against the others in a large battle.

Again, not so much fix as provide options that might fit a particular style-of-play or world better. As they stand, all are very serviceable and all have some pitfalls (the core systems, not this particular edit). I'm actually somewhat perturbed that Chaosium hasn't released errata yet, as I know the issue has been brought to their attention.

SDLeary

I have a better idea.....Knight vs. Samurai...discuss....

Ohh, good one, but it needs it's own thread.

IMO, it depends on when the fight takes place, and what equipment is available. If you got early horse-archer samurai, then they will win. If you got late Knights with Gothic armor and the big Shire Horses and such, then the Knights would win.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

We are getting along. If you look at the posts I think you'll see the lines aren't quite as divided as with shields & melee. Most of this is about interpreting how the Magic systemin the Magic book works. whereas the combat threat was about how combat (especially shields) should work.

It's the "should" part that causes all the conflict, since we all have out own pet theories on how it should work. With the Magic book things are more cut % dried. And whatever options and variants being discussed are just that.

About the closest thing to conflict we have here is Rosen and I disagreeing over the usefulness of Ceremony skill for non-ritual Spirit Magic.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.