Marriage Quest!

Trifletraxor

My group have bben playing the main campaign from Moon Design's Sartar - Kingdom of Heroes for quite some time now, having only the third and last impossible task left before the marriage can be arranged. As usual, they've warped a bit on the way. Linda's Babeester Gor character is pregnant with something dark and is slowly transforming into a dragon (at which point it will turn into an NPC), skillfully guided by her dragonewt scout Manservant. Fredrik's Humakti has taken lots of vows and has become a cold killing machine. Morten's Ernalda healer regularly use great harmony magic to turn possible fights into friendly meetings (which bugs the warriors of course!). And the hero himself, Jaran's Orlanthi, is the clearly weakest, but also the most shrewd of the characters, using the others to protect him and practically to the impossible tasks for him.

Last session the group had travelled to Battle Valley to lift a dwarven curse they accidentally brought down on their clan (being fooled into it by King Blackmoor). Before entering the troll caves (where we ended the session), they spent time in the Funnybug cave, with creepy crawlers and lots of fungi. After befriending a black elf in there, the Orlanthi hero was giftet 3 mushrooms, which may have magical effect. Not being able to communicate verbally with the black elf, they have no idea what the effect of the mushrooms actually are.

Do anyone of you have any suggestions? I need a Magic Shroom Effect table! ;-D

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Hmmm, the elf was friendly, so the effects should be beneficial rather than harmful.

One mushroom expands rapidly to the size of a patio table umbrella ... either to shield the holder from harm or to provide enough eats for the whole party in a gastronomic emergency.

One mushroom can be ingested or smoked with narcotic effect -- which propels the user into a spirit journey a la Hero Quest to enable him to get wise counsel, hidden information, heightened self-awareness, or whatever. It's the whole Sixties head trip, man, except that in this case the fungus really does provide enlightenment.

One mushroom transforms into a horde of little mushroom servants reminiscent of those little dancers in the Nutcracker Suite sequence of Disney's Fantasia. Like the three dogs from The Tinderbox or the genie from Aladdin and His Magical Lamp, they can perform seemingly impossible tasks for their master, for a limited duration or a limited number of times.

Oh, and all three mushrooms look and smell exactly alike, so you can't tell which one is which.

More ideas ...

The mushrooms expand -- with thin but sturdy stems and huge spinning caps -- enabling the holder(s) to fly Mary Poppins style.

Each mushroom is able to summon the elf himself once to aid the adventurers. The exact method (such as throwing the mushroom onto the ground hard or tossing it into a fire) should be discovered accidentally in a moment of need.

Dropped on the ground, the mushrooms grow beneath the adventurers' feet, acting like an elevator to get them to the top of an unclimbable cliff (or down from said unclimbable cliff).

Dropped in the water, cap-side down, the mushrooms transform into mushroom ships, slightly squishy but seaworthy.

One mushroom stretches and stiffens into a sturdy walking stick or staff that doubles as a devastating magic weapon. Maybe it sprays narcotic spores at the wielder's opponents.

Edited by seneschal
more brainstorming

Do anyone of you have any suggestions? I need a Magic Shroom Effect table! ;-D

I have one I actually used to great effect in (ugh!) 1991, but it is HSCII encoded (handwriting standard code for information interexchange) and I am on a trip tomorrow, so you will have to wait until I can transcribe it.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

The initial mushroom transports the player-characters to an arcade-like universe where they must bounce across a mushroom kingdom to rescue a princess (or two) from an evil turtle king and his henchmen. Additional mushrooms provide assorted "power-ups." ;D Success or failure in the alternate universe affects their fortunes in the "real" world in odd ways, with unexpected reminders of their otherworldly journey. For instance, after defeating the turtle king in the other world, the adventurers are invited to a banquet in their own where the main dish is turtle soup and turtle fudge cookies are dessert.

Hmmm, the elf was friendly, so the effects should be beneficial rather than harmful.

Yes, but he doesn't know human physiology and has only dealt with trolls earlier, so I feel I can dish out some pain together with any powers

One mushroom can be ingested or smoked with narcotic effect -- which propels the user into a spirit journey a la Hero Quest to enable him to get wise counsel, hidden information, heightened self-awareness, or whatever. It's the whole Sixties head trip, man, except that in this case the fungus really does provide enlightenment.

Release your inner fungi! I've certainly thought about it, but so have the rest of the group.

One mushroom transforms into a horde of little mushroom servants reminiscent of those little dancers in the Nutcracker Suite sequence of Disney's Fantasia. Like the three dogs from The Tinderbox or the genie from Aladdin and His Magical Lamp, they can perform seemingly impossible tasks for their master, for a limited duration or a limited number of times.

Dance my mushroom servants, dance! Hmm... Maybe a bit too nutty!

Oh, and all three mushrooms look and smell exactly alike, so you can't tell which one is which.

They've already been described and are different, but they don't know what they do is it doesn't really matter.

Each mushroom is able to summon the elf himself once to aid the adventurers. The exact method (such as throwing the mushroom onto the ground hard or tossing it into a fire) should be discovered accidentally in a moment of need.

Not a bad idea for one of them at least. They've already stepped on a squeaky "alarm-mushroom", they would probably despair if they tried to eat one for healing or whatnot in a dire situation only to have it say a loud "SQUEAK!", at until the elf showed up that is. Both cruel and nice! ;t)

One mushroom stretches and stiffens into a sturdy walking stick or staff that doubles as a devastating magic weapon. Maybe it sprays narcotic spores at the wielder's opponents.

Biological warfare sporeweapon. Hmm... I like it!

I have one I actually used to great effect in (ugh!) 1991, but it is HSCII encoded (handwriting standard code for information interexchange) and I am on a trip tomorrow, so you will have to wait until I can transcribe it.

Yeah! Looking forward to it. Have a great trip! :D

The initial mushroom transports the player-characters to an arcade-like universe where they must bounce across a mushroom kingdom to rescue a princess (or two) from an evil turtle king and his henchmen. Additional mushrooms provide assorted "power-ups." ;D Success or failure in the alternate universe affects their fortunes in the "real" world in odd ways, with unexpected reminders of their otherworldly journey. For instance, after defeating the turtle king in the other world, the adventurers are invited to a banquet in their own where the main dish is turtle soup and turtle fudge cookies are dessert.

Hehe, I like this idea too. Have to modify it a bit though, as my players don't like the play getting too comical, but a transportation to a bizarre heroquest with realworld ramification sounds tempting.

Thanks! ;D

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

You're welcome. Sometimes you just gotta throw the mushrooms against the wall and see what sticks. ;)

"my players don't like the play getting too comical"

Awwww. I was going to suggest that at one point the player-characters be chased through a maze by large spherical yellow monsters with huge mouths. >:>

• 2 weeks later...