Mook Rules

oldercloud

Hey,

I'm running a sword & sorcery game using the Elric! rules, along with some BRP rules, and I am trying to figure out a workable set of rules for mooks. I've seen some of the mook rules on here already, and I've added a few ideas of my own.

In my game, I am interested in presenting my players with nameless hordes of guards, thugs, goons, etc. What I've done so far is to break the gang of mooks into equal groups, based on the number of characters. For example, I recently pitted three players against nine cultist guards. First, I divided the nine guards into three groups of three.

1) Each character, then, was attacked by one group. Since these underlings attack as a group, they only get to attack once. This one attack represents their collective sword strokes, fisticuffs, etc. With this is in mind, I intend to use the following:

2) Attack skill equals 30% + 10% per mook. In the above example, the hit rate would be 60%.

Damage is equal to 1d6 +1 per mook. So, three mooks, together, would attack for 1d6 +3. If the bonus is equal to the die type, just roll two of that die type.

3) I am not sure how apportion hit points. Perhaps it should be 10 + the number of mooks.

I am also considering adding some sort of special tactics, such as ganging up, flanking, etc. My goal is to keep things simple and to replicate the genre. Conan often wades through lesser foes, and I want to give my players the same opportunity.

Please let me know if you have suggestions - especially about hit points and special effects.

The way your doing it is very comic-booky, which I consider a good thing. :)

With regards to 'the group', don't worry about hit points. Each Mook in the group can take one hit. When they are taken out, the group looses 1/3 of their attack chance, or whatever fraction of the group that they are. They are not dead, but have been demoralized enough that they lay around in pain moaning, or retreat.

Their leaders, lets call them Sergeants, can take one Major Wound before they fall down in pain or slink away. You will have to track HP for these guys, but there should only be one or two around at a time.

Lieutenants are normal NPCs and have a higher morale. You have to take them out, or force them to surrender. This is generally the Villians second.

SDLeary

Man, I haven't learned nearly enough gamer talk for this site :P

What's meant by mook? I thought it was American slang for idiot. Well, it is, but didn't know there was another meaning. Is it like spot rules?

Money can't buy happiness. But it can buy marshmallows, which is kind of the same thing.

What's meant by mook?

A minor non-player character, usually a member of a hostile group, with

low combat skills and therefore easy to defeat. Think of the extras who

accompany a major enemy non-player character, the members of a hor-

de of weak enemies, and such. "Mook rules" are simplified combat rules

designed to deal with lots of such weak enemies without wasting time.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Ah, nameless goons. I'm with you now. A friend of mine suggested having an HP pool for a group of those with relevant combat skills, eg. percentage weaopon skills, shield if appropriate, things like that. Nice and simple.

Money can't buy happiness. But it can buy marshmallows, which is kind of the same thing.

My favorite "mook moment" is an old episode of the Adam West Batman TV series. Batman and Robin were invited to speak at a lodge meeting -- the Grand Order of Occidental Nighthawks. They arrived and were immediately set upon by the Penguin's men, each of whom wore a black turtleneck with the acronym "G.O.O.N." silk-screened on the front. ;D

I saw that one not too long ago. And the Dynamic duo thought nothing of it at first.Oh, you recognised their faces, Batman? Like the fucking tops weren't a glaring warning sign? Great detective work, numbnuts! :P