Magic World Char Gen Walkthroughs and Other Stuff

camazotz

Well, I'm loving MW....going to order the print version this weekend (looks like Chaosium is back up and MW can be ordered now).

I've been blogging a bit about it, here and here so far. More stuff to come. My wife's been demanding I start a game on Tuesday nights so she can play again, so we're going to get a MW campaign going starting next week, should be a lot of fun. I like that it's a more streamlined version of RQ....I love RQ, but I also like a system that doesn't require hit locations and stuff which clutters the flow, so MW is perfect for me.

Um....so in short, thanks Zomben for your work on this game, it is much appreciated in my household! ;-D

Since you brought up char gen walk through, I wanted to share how I describe adding percentages to your professional skills (I love this).

Okay guys, put a little mark by your eight professional skills.

Now add +20% to each of them.

Now pick four of them and add another +20%.

Okay, lastly pick on of those four and add yet another +20% to it.

Sooo simple; +20% to four skills, +40% to three skills and +60% to one! It says the same thing, but in my world, the second description is done quickly even by new plays.

I've been blogging a bit about it, here and here so far. More stuff to come.

Fun!

My wife's been demanding I start a game on Tuesday nights so she can play again, so we're going to get a MW campaign going starting next week, should be a lot of fun.

That's great! Magic World finally coming out was the impetus I needed to start up a group again as well. We'll be using it as a base to run Ravenloft for a while.

Sooo simple; +20% to four skills, +40% to three skills and +60% to one! It says the same thing, but in my world, the second description is done quickly even by new plays.

I like it. I've actually been using point distribution in a similar way that Magic World does for a while. For characters starting with 250 points it's 60, 40, 40, 30, 30, 20, 20, 10 and for characters starting at 300 points it's 60, 60, 40, 40, 30, 30, 20, 20.

70/420

I just read your post on the swordmage. I really liked seeing how you extrapolated ideas out of the text to make the character fit your vision, rather than adhere to just what was in the rules. That's very much what I'd hoped I'd see after the game came out. In many ways, the system's just a skeleton, and there are many areas where the Chroniclers and Players need to fill in a few blanks. I'm hoping people see that as a feature, not a bug.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

"Design what you want" is definitely a feature! I'm running MW tonight, eager to see what sort of characters everyone comes up with. It's nice that the system can coach a player along (lending ideas as they develop the character) because of course many players have no idea what they want to do when they first jump in. Veteran players meanwhile can tinker a bit to create a vision.