[A Song of Ice and Fire] Would you use BRP for it? If so, why?

PoppySeed45

A thought occurred to me today as I was looking at systems to run ASoIF. I've got the Green Ronin RPG, and I've got Burning Wheel too, but I now have BRP. Would you use it to run ASoIF? If so, why? What do you gain by doing so? Bonus if you can say what it does differently/better than the Green Ronin game or BW.

I'm really torn on this!

I couldn't say what would be different in using BRP for a campaign based on ASoIF since I have haven't seen the either of the games you've mentioned. I don't think it would be hard to do really, given how the setting is currently low-magic (and is only starting to manifest since the hatching of the three dragons). You might give some consideration to how you want it to play out - are the characters hedge-knights and sell swords, or members of the great Houses playing the Game of Thrones?

I couldn't say what would be different in using BRP for a campaign based on ASoIF since I have haven't seen the either of the games you've mentioned. I don't think it would be hard to do really, given how the setting is currently low-magic (and is only starting to manifest since the hatching of the three dragons). You might give some consideration to how you want it to play out - are the characters hedge-knights and sell swords, or members of the great Houses playing the Game of Thrones?

They'd be members of a House (actually, there's a neat House creation system in ASoIF RPG). After that though, my question is, which rule system to use? And my eye has alighted on BRP, since I'd want a base system for stuff, but don't necessarily want to use the actual ASoIF game's system (which apparently went through little beta-testing; it shows).

I use bits of Cthulhu Dark Ages, Val du Loup, Merrie England and Crusaders of the Amber Coast along with the House generation rules and elements from the Green Ronin game.

Maesters are basically Scholars and to forge a link in a discipline they have to be at least 40% proficient. At that point they face what we in the Navy referred to as a "murder board" and get drilled by 3 of their better. Once they are posted to a house or whatever, they can gain further links through what amounts to correspondence. Essentially presenting essays on a topic and circulating them among certain senior Maesters until they get recognition from 3. I'm kinda cribbing that from the books and from Harn.

• 1 month later...

A thought occurred to me today as I was looking at systems to run ASoIF. I've got the Green Ronin RPG, and I've got Burning Wheel too, but I now have BRP. Would you use it to run ASoIF? If so, why? What do you gain by doing so? Bonus if you can say what it does differently/better than the Green Ronin game or BW.

I'm really torn on this!

I would easily run a Westeros-based game using BRP, and already have. When I was working on Guardians of Order's d20/TriStat A Game of Thrones, I wanted to run a mini-campaign of it, but they were still mucking about with the rules. (I was writing content stuff, not system mechanics.)

I decided to whip up a character sheet for a Stormbringer-derived game, ran it off the cuff, and it worked fine.

The scenario was during the time immediately prior to the death of Robert Baratheon, and the characters were all members of the discredited House Connington of Griffon's Roost.

If anyone's interested, I can post the quick rules summary and character sheet. (I'm at work now and don't have access to them.)

It was years between finishing that game and playing in a session of GR's ASoI&F, but given the choice, I'd use BRP again, or possibly even Pendragon.

If anyone's interested, I can post the quick rules summary and character sheet. (I'm at work now and don't have access to them.)

Interested! :)

Rod

Edit: And while your at it, if you could post everything on your hard drive that pertains to BRP/D100, it would save a step. ;)

Edited by threedeesix

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

I've put the three relevant documents into the downloads section.

Character sheet - A Game of Thrones character sheet - Downloads - Basic Roleplaying Central

Rules summary - Game of Thrones rules summary - Downloads - Basic Roleplaying Central

Character generation summary - Game of Thrones character creation summary - Downloads - Basic Roleplaying Central

Just looking at those reminds me what a fun mini-campaign that was.

• 8 years later...