BRP as a skirmish wargame?

Simlasa

Do any of y'all ever just use the Chaosium rules for small wargames... in addition to playing it as a straight up RPG?

Our gaming group plays wargames and RPGs about equally... and a while back I was jonesing for a small scale skirmish game, kind of like the old The Fantasy Trip or GW's Necromunda/Mordheim... someone suggested just using an RPG combat system and so I started messing about with the BRP/WOW/COC rules for a 'lite' skirmish game... and it really works the trick.

We've left off all the hit location/encumbrance stuff so far... but otherwise it's pretty much straight up.

On one of the Yahoo forums a poster who was involved with some of the early RQ development said that the potential to just play a fighting game was pretty much designed into the rules from the first.

Anyone else using BRP for this? What sorts of things have you tried?

(Lately I've been slooowly converting the forces from Confrontation into BRP stats...)

It's been one of my long-term projects to do a Stormbringer Skirmish game using BRP as a base. It really wouldn't be that difficult, and I've been tinkering with some ideas on how to streamline BRP for tabletop use.

Since Stormbringer has moved to Monoose, this idea is out. However, a standard fantasy game wouldn't be any more difficult to knock together.

• Like 1

Very true. 'Warlords of Alexander' has a usable looking if basic mass combat system. I have never done it in one of my games because there never was enough call for it. In my last game there was one guy from a Warhammer FRP background who was asking if there was such a system for BRP, though, so I suppose it would be a good idea to develop one just in case. I wonder how much interest it would generate, to better attract people with more interest in that side of the hobby...ie Warhammer, Iron Kingdoms, et al.?

It's been one of my long-term projects to do a Stormbringer Skirmish game using BRP as a base. It really wouldn't be that difficult, and I've been tinkering with some ideas on how to streamline BRP for tabletop use.

Since Stormbringer has moved to Monoose, this idea is out. However, a standard fantasy game wouldn't be any more difficult to knock together.

Interesting idea. I tried the same several years ago. I had Cry Havoc, Vikings and Outremer, skirimish games playing in the medieval. The problem was that the rules have been very tedious and unrealistic in play but the playing material (maps, counters) was very beautiful. So we changed the rules into a kind of simple BRP (attack/parry, a simplified character health status which could either be ok, wounded or dead)

The result was a very dense and fast game. We were able to fight the battles with 30-40 fighters per side out in 3-4 hours and had alot of fun.

That's kind of what Warlords is, the armies have all the regular BRP stats.

Warlords is rather for armies no? (thousands of men) Skirmish are single combattants fighting in small scale battles. (eg. 50 vikings land ashore and try to storm a little defended motte and a village)

But I will check out Warlords. Thanks for the tip. I am really curious how they stat whole armies with BRP values. (I guess there is no CHA :))

I've been reading the 'Warlords Of Alexander' PDF and I like it a lot... a much more interesting background for me than your usual by-rote elves/orcs/dwarves... and the large scale battle rules are interesting to see how BRP can be abstracted to that level.

Most of what I've tried is just fights between small gangs/warbands... PCs from our RPG sessions might be involved... but often as not we're just fighting out some scenario using whatever miniatures we like... though we seem to have done a lot in the 40K background... as well as some pulp/gangster stuff...

We're still figuring it out, and not really writing anything down in stone... but I think it shows the versatility of Chaosium's rules in a good light.