Mythic Britain is finished!

Pete Nash

In typical Arthurian legend, Lancelot was a French knight who came to England because he'd heard about Arthur's ambition and befriended him (and became very friendly with his wife....). Since these times don't really have France (not sure what was there at the time)

Armorica (current day Brittany in northern France) was a Celtic kingdom that was overrun by the Franks during this period. There are still Roman outposts in Gaul, which forms much of middle and southern France.

You have many options. In the 'Warlord Chronicles' by Bernard Cornwell, Lancelot is from Armorica, the son of King Ban of Benoic (Mont Saint Michel) and he escapes to Britain when Benoic is overrun by the Franks. Mind you, he's a very different take on the traditional Lancelot (and, in my opinion, far more interesting than the saintly knight of the Medieval tales).

Franks, Irish, Dal Riadans, Romans, Iberians, Moors, Byzantines... lots of exotic lands to choose from. One of our Mythic Britain campaign characters is a Roman exile seeking to avenge a great wrong done to his patrician family. Although Rome had evacuated Britain, it still dominated mainland Europe and there has high mobility across the continent for several centuries.

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

In typical Arthurian legend, Lancelot was a French knight who came to England because he'd heard about Arthur's ambition and befriended him (and became very friendly with his wife....). Since these times don't really have France (not sure what was there at the time), I wonder what sort of exotic locale a Lancelot-style PC could emerge from.

At the time, Llydaw was a kingdom of the Britons, populated by a mixture of the soldiers led by Conan Meriadoc who support Maxen Wledig and the emigrants from Britain who fled the advance of the Angles/Saxons/Jutes. Normandy was a kingdom of its own, Benoic, which was overrun by the Franks. I put Lancelot as one of the sons of the king of Benoic.

In the Arthurian tales, Lancelot was raised by the Lady of the lake, so might have some Fae in his background.

The Franks have established a number of kingdoms, the Visigoths have moved to South Gaul/northern Iberia, Vandals are in southern Iberia/North Africa, Byzantines (Eastern Roman Empire) rule a large empire, the Huns still have a kingdom in central Europe (This is not long after Attila's time).

So there is a huge amount of movement of people. Many people are fleeing the invading armies, other are just looking for adventure.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 1 year later...