It all started with Dreamworks' Monsters vs. Aliens, pitting pastiches of famous movie monsters against, well, you know.  Then there was Cowboys vs. Aliens.  The Avengers movie was essentially superheroes vs. aliens.  Now Netflix is airing a series entitled Wizards vs. Aliens, in which Harry Potter types oppose the obligatory invasion.

So, what cross-genre match-up do you think would make an exciting campaign?

Actually. Freddie vs. Jason (2003) and AVP: Alien vs. Predator (2004) predates them all.

But, If I had to it choose my dream combo, it would be the subject of 90% of all geek conversation; Star Trek vs. Star Wars.*

*Important note: Please don't accept this as a challenge. I already know who would win, and I'm not sharing.  ;-)

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

But, If I had to it choose my dream combo, it would be the subject of 90% of all geek conversation; Star Trek vs. Star Wars.*

*Important note: Please don't accept this as a challenge. I already know who would win, and I'm not sharing.  ;-)

Everyone knows Minions would would in this one

• Like 1

Get all our products at our website: www.devotedpublishing.com

Check Solace Games out on Facebook here!

On a side note. While not a VS. but instead a mash-up, when I was heavily into GURPS, I would take two or three of my more than 150 different worldbooks at random and throw together a short campaign as a diversion between breaks in our normal games. I ran some really off the wall stuff. My favorite was a campaign using GURPS Ice Age and GURPS Spec Ops for a time travel campaign, and GURPS Old West and the aliens and flying saucer from GURPS Atomic Horror. The latter ended up being very close to the subject matter of Cowboys vs. Aliens, but predated it by more than 20 years.

• Like 1

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

Zombies vs. aliens?  Vampires vs. aliens?  Robots vs. aliens?  Cthulhu vs. aliens? (I know eldritch horrors are themselves aliens, but imagine flying saucers or Martian tripods attacking a towering octopoid titan.)

BTW, there's already Monkey, Ninja, Pirate, Robot: the RPG where you play one of the four aforementioned beings fighting aliens.  Also of note, Necessary Evil posits supervillains vs. aliens after the superheroes get blown away.

• Like 1

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

Oh, then there's Aliens vs Aliens, which is nearly every Doctor Who episode.  (But not the Silurian & Sea Devil episodes, which are Dinosaurs vs. Alien.)

More broadly, though, imagine the embarrassment when two (or more) alien species decide to invade the same planet at the same time.  The Greys call a truce with the nations of Earth to exterminate the Pod People.  Meanwhile the Predators decide to release some Xenomorphs on Earth to make hunting more exciting, the Space Vampires have acquired a taste for The Thing, and the Daleks mistakenly exterminated advanced scouts for the Borg.

Edited by fmitchell
  • Like 1

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

Robots + Clones v. Aliens:

Skynet/the Matrix won and exterminated the humans, but New Earth, completely dominated by AI and robots, is now under invasion by aliens. The robots lose the first few battles and decide to clone/decant/wake up/unplug some of their human slaves/batteries/DNA samples because humans might be better at fighting off other biological beings.

Might be fun to let the human characters find out the premise only after defeating the aliens. They could wake up with no back story other than an intensive combat training by robots. 

Edited by Aelwyn
  • Like 1

Uplifts v. Aliens: 

The aliens create a virus that wipes out all human life, but not before human scientists manage to bring human-level intelligence to genetically modified chimps, dolphins, gorillas, and dogs. The aliens try to capture the uplifts in order to develop a new virus, while the uplifts fight a guerrilla war against the aliens and negotiate the post-human landscape.

Batman and Chuck Norris, after initially trying to beat each other to a pulp, would eventually team up to battle the aliens who had set them against one another as part of the most recent invasion scheme.

Darksied would be like "so I'm retiring" then Chuck Norris would say "you retire when I say you retire"

• Like 1

Get all our products at our website: www.devotedpublishing.com

Check Solace Games out on Facebook here!