Old school dungeoncrawl with OQ

jux

So, who has done it? Can OQ handle the old school well? I think it should.

Are there any adventures as such? I am thinking of modules like Dungeon Crawl Classics - they have many going really gonzo. OQ should have that :)

Anyway I am planning to get one DCC module and try to play it with OQ. Any suggestions, warnings?

It is completly possible with the rules as written, since I wrote them to be as flexible to different types of playstyle as possible.

There's a number of adventures that I've published that are either directly Old School Dungeon crawls, with D100 sensiblities (i.e strong story and supporting cast), or with enough of the familiar trophes that players familiar with Dungeon Crawling will feel right at home.

The Road Less Travelled in OpenQuest2 Deluxe has a smail Dungeon in its final section

The Savage North is a collection of four old school adventures, and is probably the most old school thing we've done for the line. It has three adventures that are Dungeon based entirely. The other is a wilderness treck and the final one is a mix of wilderness and dungeon. There's also more comprehensive notes on how to run this style of adventure over a campaign.

Deep in the Hole in OpenQuest Adventures http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/150599/OpenQuest-Adventures is a small Dungeon (with supporting Village)

I would however put cavaets on this. OpenQuest combat is far more deadly than D&D, by virtue of the fact that you have a Static Pool of hit points that don't increase with experience. If you are not correctly using tactics and magic (even non-magic using characters should have a couple of Battle Magic spells to give them the edge in combat) then you will quickly get dragged down. Make sure you have someone in the group who has Healing, since the whole hit points issue means that you can quickly loose large amounts of hit points. OQ dungeoneering does not follow the Hit Point attrition route that D&D does. OQ characters tend to sail through unscathed or suddenly loose large chunks of hit points from a lucky hit. Give you players time to heal up after each encounter, unless you are really turning up the heat on them ;)  Allow the use Hero Points.

• Like 1

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

I've played D&D modules using OpenQuest (with freshly baked characters) almost without any need of conversion, as long as it was for 1-3 level :) 
I've never played a DCC adventure, but I think it's not that different.

And I suggest you to try The Savage North, I had a blast playing the first two adventures with my party ;)

I've played D&D modules using OpenQuest (with freshly baked characters) almost without any need of conversion, as long as it was for 1-3 level :) 
I've never played a DCC adventure, but I think it's not that different.

And I suggest you to try The Savage North, I had a blast playing the first two adventures with my party ;)

I playtested both the first two Savage North adventures and they were one of my most memorable experiences ever :) 

Worth noting if you are after an example of a OQ "High level" adventure Tomb of the Empty Emperor in OpenQuest Adventures fullfils that (and has pre-gen characters).

Final note about DCC classics adventures and OQ, from the adventures I've seen they are a good fit for OQ :)

• Like 2

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain