My OpenQuest powered casual project

Dave the DM

Due to my love of the Jurassic Park books and movies, I've decided to create a Dinosaur Theme park RPG (primarily for my own enjoyment) using the OpenQuest 2 SRD as the base. So far I've only been making changes to the rules, such as chucking out magic, and gathering information on dinosaurs. Sorry bout the brevity of the post, I tend to be a person of few words and there's not much else to say since my project is in its infancy. I'm just hoping I don't let this one die on me. 

Due to my horrible internet plan, it may be a while before I see and answer replies (if there are any).

• Like 3

Imagine, Adventure, Have Fun!

You may want to refer to Monsters of Legend to get a feel for a larger range of dinosaurs but shouldn't be hard. Might be prudent as well to make up a few new smaller dinosaurs that are a more realistic challenge as far as combat goes. You can use the Jurassic World basis about science having created new dinosaurs.

• Like 1

Get all our products at our website: www.devotedpublishing.com

Check Solace Games out on Facebook here!

14 hours ago, Whisker89 said:

Sounds interesting :D what about the "time" of the game? is it set in present times or something more futuristic?

It is present times, though I was considering a futuristic setting at one time.

19 hours ago, auyl said:

You may want to refer to Monsters of Legend to get a feel for a larger range of dinosaurs but shouldn't be hard. Might be prudent as well to make up a few new smaller dinosaurs that are a more realistic challenge as far as combat goes. You can use the Jurassic World basis about science having created new dinosaurs.

I did look up compies and actual velociraptors, but I have noticed my list so far is a bit on the deadly side. Jurassic World is what made me finally decide to do this, I wanted to run an adventure based on it and wasn't too sure what game to use, so I decided to take another whirl at using an SRD to develop a game of my own. I actually plan to have a genetic mutation list that can be used to slightly modify dinosaurs. Thanks for the advice, Legend is one of the things I haven't really gotten a look at yet.

How deadly do you want the game to be? Or would it be more like CoC where combat would be the last resort of desperate men (and women). The Jurrasic movies have a lot of running and hiding. Is that going to factor into the game? The reason I ask is that it might change which rules you emphasize and changes you make based on if it is a combat game or a survival game or an X-files looking for crypto beasties kind of thing. Just a thought.

Its 2300hrs, do you know where your super dreadnoughts are?

http://reigndragonpressblog.blogspot.com/

On 11/10/2015, 11:52:46, ReignDragonSMH said:

How deadly do you want the game to be? Or would it be more like CoC where combat would be the last resort of desperate men (and women). The Jurrasic movies have a lot of running and hiding. Is that going to factor into the game? The reason I ask is that it might change which rules you emphasize and changes you make based on if it is a combat game or a survival game or an X-files looking for crypto beasties kind of thing. Just a thought.

I haven't really thought of that, probably fairly deadly though as I'm statting the dinos myself using a weight to SIZ table and a lot of them are a good deal larger than in other games.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Also don't forget that not all of the dinosaurs need to be full grown if you want to challenge your players and not kill them. After all, a young allosaur can be as deadly as you want it to be, just vary the age.

Plus, actual velociraptors were much smaller then those depicted in JP. I would create "realistic" raptors for a nice challenge, and make up the stats for the deinonychus if you want something closer to the velociraptor as depicted on screen.

Rod

• Like 1

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2015 at 5:47 PM, threedeesix said:

Also don't forget that not all of the dinosaurs need to be full grown if you want to challenge your players and not kill them. After all, a young allosaur can be as deadly as you want it to be, just vary the age.

Plus, actual velociraptors were much smaller then those depicted in JP. I would create "realistic" raptors for a nice challenge, and make up the stats for the deinonychus if you want something closer to the velociraptor as depicted on screen.

Rod

I'm doing full size for now but I may make different stat blocks for the young as I progress.

I'm actually doing Velociraptor, deinonychus, and Utah raptors (in retrospect I may need more herbavore diversity). 

Being from McCurtain county in Oklahoma, I statted out the Acrocanthosaurus Atokensis (it was very nostalgic for me as I attended the First Acrofest when our small museum opened).

sorry bout the really late reply, I've been busy here lately.

Edited by Dave the DM
Minor punctuation error
  • Like 1