Fallout in BRP

originalcreeper

I've been a fan of Fallout for a long time, but am rather late to the joys of BRP. I've noticed that there was a WIP file that was part of a conversion project, but it seems to have died. My question is this- How do I go about implementing the flavor and style of Talents and Perks from the setting? I know that most BRPers really hate the idea of an advantage/disadvantage system, but I really believe it has a place and isn't just the domain of munchkins. I also am not necessarily going for a 1:1 conversion of all Perks or anything like that. I know that down that road lies frustration.

I am also curious as to how one would reproduce some of the creatures in the setting. I figure Supermutants can just be reskinned Orcs/Trolls/Giants, Yao Guai are just tougher Bears, Deathclaws I would guess can use the Allosaurus stats (slightly modified, of course), but what about Centaurs? Or Glowing Ones?

Sorry if this all seems scatter-shot, I've got a lot on my plate so I'm trying to get this all done ASAP.

Edited by originalcreeper
forgot just how big and bad an allosaurus is

Which version of BRP are you using to build this? The BGB, RQ6, or something else? 

For RQ6 you'll need the Firearms pdf that's free on The Design Mechanism website, and you can also get that information in the Luther Arkwright book. RQ6 has a loose 'Gifts' system which are optional rules that can be used as a Talent system if you want. The Luther Arkwright book also has some Psychic Talents and also Tenacity rules which would suit the setting.

BRP does have a Talent system however. Renassiance uses a Talent system in Pirates & Dragons, and because its based from MRQ D100 SRD then it can also easily port almost directly into RQ6.

The BGB has no Talent system per see, unless you want to have low-powered SuperPowers as Talents. However the supplement Blood Tide does have a Stunts system which is quite cinematic and can be plugged easily into the BGB or even RQ6 for that matter.

Also there are the Heroic Abilities in Legend which can also be easily added to RQ6 as well. The pdf of Legend should still be pretty cheap I think.

If using the BGB then there are two excellent products you should get, called the Investigator Weapons books, they cover firearms in great depth and would be ideal for a setting like Fallout.

Reskinning the critters hasn't typically been a big issue for me regardless of which edition of BRP I am playing, as it all seems pretty intuitive. Just go with what you think at the time, you can easily handwave it if you think things need to be tweaked more. It's pretty easy to just make opponents and critters up on the fly I reckon.

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Thank you very much! I'm using the BGB, but am open to switching to others if it would be easier/more intuitive. I'll be sure to check out your suggestions.

I had thought about having the low-level Superpowers maybe as a base for certain Talents and Perks. Like a Super Strength that only applies to encumbrance for something like Strong Back. It does seem pretty easy to just make up critters as needed, my worry is being unfair in balancing- this is my first time running or playing BRP.

How much effort would be required to convert the things moreso meant for RQ6 into the BGB? I initially assumed everything was more or less plug-in.

Well whether you are using the BGB or RQ6 it's all BRP and thus broadly compatible.

The BGB is really the 'classic BRP' build, which means it covers games like Call of Cthulhu, Elric/Stormbringer, Magic World, and the earlier Chaosium RuneQuest 3rd edition (out of print since the 80s).

The more recent verion of BRP is the 'MRQ D100 SRD' build which covers RuneQuest 6th edition, Legend, OpenQuest, Renaissance, and so forth. The games are a little different to each other, although highly compatible.

Compatibility between the two BRP builds is reasonably simple for experienced GMs.

However, for GMs new to the BRP system, I would choose to go with one build or the other, as there are subtle differences. Lots of stuff can be ported across both systems, although you have to be wary that sometimes if can affect the systems in unforseen ways.

So if you are using the BGB then you are using 'classic BRP'. Call of Cthulhu and Magic World could be useful for critters. The Investigator Weapons books are made for that system, and if you want a more cinematic talents system then Blood Tide has Stunts for that. Super Powers can be used as well, but require a bit more tweaking to keep them at Talent level.

I would also recommend using the Hit Locations option from the BGB, just because it makes it combat more visceral, which is in keeping with a post-apocalyptic dog-eat-dog setting like Fallout.  

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Awesome-possum! I have CoC and Worlds of Wonder (unless that's too old), so that works out. Thank you so much for your help and recommendations.

I plan to use the Hit Locations option for sure. I'm wanting to hit that nice sweet spot between "Normal Badass" and "Badass Normal" for the campaign. I also want to definitely keep that visceral combat feel, while also keeping things as quick as possible. I was thinking about using Strike Ranks, but that just seems like a bad idea. haha

In terms of building characters, I was considering allowing Step Six of character creation. But I feel that might be too much. Same with the Higher Starting Characteristics option. I want to get that pulpy feel that Fallout can give, but I also want them to approach combat carefully and with reservations.

Once I have it all figured out, I'll probably make a simple file for it- creatures, robots, homebrew Traits, etc.

On 11/19/2015, 10:53:34, Mankcam said:

However, for GMs new to the BRP system, I would choose to go with one build or the other, as there are subtle differences. Lots of stuff can be ported across both systems, although you have to be wary that sometimes if can affect the systems in unforseen ways.

What are the major sticking points with mixing the branches?  I'm relatively new to BRP games (currently in the process of trying to set up my first campaign with other people involved, but I've messed around with it quite a bit solo) and finding that I really like the overall feel of MW and the support for a wide range of non-fantasy in BGB, but RQ6 combat is a "must" for me, given that it's the one thing that absolutely sold me on BRP the instant I saw it.

1 hour ago, nDervish said:

What are the major sticking points with mixing the branches? 

Mostly calculations.

Each game calculates skills a little differently, and/or has different skills entirely. Some subsume one or more skills; Sneak and Hide become Stealth.

Those that use Hit Locations usually calculate the hit points in each location differently.

Damage bonus is usually calculated using the same characteristics, but the table will produce different results.

None of these obstacles are insurmountable, you just have to be aware of them and adjust them to whatever system you choose.

On a side note, I created a BRP Fallout sheet for the BGB during the playtest that may be of use to you. It can be found at...

Happy Gaming,

Rod

• Like 1

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"