Chaosium's 'A Time to Harvest' - Call of Cthulhu Organized Play Campaign

dadcubed, In case you weren't aware the new edition is still on a ship. Various updates have been posted and I believe it's currently heading up the Red Sea or in the Suez Canal by now.

You can certainly run the scenario with a copy of the Quick Start rules though.

Edited by nclarke
  • Like 1

Nigel

12 hours ago, nclarke said:

dadcubed, In case you weren't aware the new edition is still on a ship. Various updates have been posted and I believe it's currently heading up the Red Sea or in the Suez Canal by now.

You can certainly run the scenario with a copy of the Quick Start rules though.

Thank you very much Mr.NClarke.  I have indeed been reading the quick start rules with some vigour. 

Thank you also for the information relating to the ship. I have pirate friends in the Suez Canal and will see about accessing a copy........

19 hours ago, MOB said:

\It's not too late to join the Cult of Chaos to receive the first installment of our new Organized Play Campaign, 'A Time to Harvest'!

On Thursday this week (March 31st), ALL Cult of Chaos members will receive a DriveThruRPG coupon enabling them to download their own copy of the first installment for free.

http://www.chaosium.com/join-the-cult-of-chaos

I believe I joined the Cult, is there a way to verify?

On 3/30/2016 at 9:16 AM, SMG said:

I believe I joined the Cult, is there a way to verify?

If you received the DTRPG email, you're on the Cultist list. If you didn't, email dustin@chaosium.com and he'll be able to help you out

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

Just got the PDF of ATTH. I have some ideas I'd like to brain storm with you:

1.) I kind of like the idea of setting it in the present age and then when they go to Cobbs corner vermont it is stuck in the 20-30's because of mind control via the Mi-gos

2.) What if  Michael Abelard of FOC was now a Mi-go wearing the skin of Michael Abelard and was funding the natural science department for this excavation for the ore. I think it would be funny if his humming unusual voice was explained by Abelard as one of those voice modulators that ex-smokers have to use when they press it too their necks.  

just some minor points that might make it creepy and funny may add to the experience 

Hi all - if you're a Keeper running A Time to Harvest, we've set up a private forum where you can divulge campaign secrets without any players sneaking a peak. That's the best place to share ideas, ponder questions, and generally support one another in realizing the campaign on the tabletop (or computer screen).

The password for the forum went out with an email to all Cult of Chaos members. If you didn't get it, check your spam/junk folders in case it ended up there; otherwise drop dustin@chaosium.com a line.

Cheers,

MOB

Hulloo,

In the other Organised Play campaign that I participate in (Pathfinder Society) it is typical for a new season, or new campaign to have a short Player's Guide. 

Within they supply players with relevant information and flavour specific to the campaign that characters can be expected to know, as well as any 

limiting factors, quirks or unique options that can be applied to characters created especially for the campaign. 

Is such a thing likely here also? 

As this seems to be looking to draw new people in as well as cater to the established player I'm assuming you'll want people to be able to participate while owning as little as the 7th Edition Quick-Start rules. 

This would seem to suggest that at least a new occupation, or occupations will be made available for student characters. 

It's down to the Keeper to introduce the world to the players. The world is 1930s America. There are no limiting factors or quirks - it uses the Call of Cthulhu rules.

While the campaign can be run using just the Quick-Start Rules, it is written for use with the full Call of Cthulhu rules.

The Student occupation - occupation skills are: Credit Rating, Library Use, Listen and 5 skills of the player's choice (areas of study).

• Like 1

Quick questions.

Does a Investigator Development Phase trigger upon completion of each episode?

Should investigator characters created for playing A Time to Harvest only be used for A Time to Harvest episodes? That is to say, while waiting for the next episode to come out, should Keepers refrain from running any side track mysteries for the said student investigators.

Referring a question from a potential player; What benefit do I get playing if I buy the Call of Cthulhu rules or Investigators Handbook, versus just using the Quick Start Rules?

Referring another question from a confirmed players; It has been understood that investigator PCs will be students. Can a player create a professor character for the campaign? Can a player create a medical student investigator? Can a player create his investigator using the optional rules for Experienced Investigators?

Thanks in advance.

12 hours ago, mmaenza said:

Quick questions.

Does a Investigator Development Phase trigger upon completion of each episode?

Should investigator characters created for playing A Time to Harvest only be used for A Time to Harvest episodes? That is to say, while waiting for the next episode to come out, should Keepers refrain from running any side track mysteries for the said student investigators.

Referring a question from a potential player; What benefit do I get playing if I buy the Call of Cthulhu rules or Investigators Handbook, versus just using the Quick Start Rules?

Referring another question from a confirmed players; It has been understood that investigator PCs will be students. Can a player create a professor character for the campaign? Can a player create a medical student investigator? Can a player create his investigator using the optional rules for Experienced Investigators?

Thanks in advance.

Hi

Yes, I would advise triggering a IDP (Investigator Development Phase) between episodes - the choice is down to the Keeper (who can call one whenever they think appropriate).

Sidetracks - the decision is yours, but I would try to avoid too much of this as it has the potential to foul up the overall campaign.

The campaign uses the full rules. The Quick-Start Rules only provide the basic rules. Of course, the player need not buy anything if they so wish - as long as the Keeper has the full rules. A player having the Investigator Handbook has access to a great amount of supporting information, character options, plus a wider range of occupation choices (for replacement, or even starting characters).

The answer to your last question is covered on page 9 - Campaign Considerations. I would advise players to take student characters, although a couple of alternative options are suggested.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2016 at 1:39 PM, dadcubed said:

First forage into GMing CoC and an Organised Play situation. Should be good. No where can I get a hard copy of CoC 7th Ed in the UK? Cheers :)

The books just arrived at the warehouses in UK yesterday.  So, I assume after the Kickstarter contributors get their copies, the other copies will be available locally at your game store or for online purchase.  So, maybe in a few weeks?