Estimated Time of Completion?

As per the guidance document (see thread on this forum) - each group plays differently so there is no hard and fast timescale, although we assume roughly a month's play for EP 1 (which depends on your frequency of gaming sessions).

Each group runs at different paces - if I was running Episode 1 it would take me 2 to 3 sessions of approx 3-4 hours each session. Others might take 4 to 6 sessions. If you play all day on a Saturday, then maybe one or two sessions. 

This isn't an ideal game for a convention since it isn't episodic play in the way that the D&D Adventurer's League is. This is a campaign in which the Keeper is developing relations between the player characters and the NPCs over multiple sessions.

Great for game clubs, regular groups that meet in a store, or online play. But it is intended to keep (mostly) the same group over the course of the campaign's chapters.

That said, nothing wrong with just going for it and making Chapter One a one-off for a convention. As long as the players know it is intended to be a campaign.

Meanwhile, speaking of convention play, we have this thread going on one the open forum: 

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

To the basic question:

It took our group four sessions of roughly 2 1/2 hours of "focused" game time to complete.

However...I got the feeling that greater knowledge of the town and each PC knowing each other would matter, so we did some heavy roleplaying and information gathering. I also did not want to rush through the adventure. Each session that I ran equaled roughly 1 1/2 days of game time. 

On April 6, 2016 at 5:21 PM, Todd@Chaosium said:

This isn't an ideal game for a convention since it isn't episodic play in the way that the D&D Adventurer's League is. This is a campaign in which the Keeper is developing relations between the player characters and the NPCs over multiple sessions.

Great for game clubs, regular groups that meet in a store, or online play. But it is intended to keep (mostly) the same group over the course of the campaign's chapters.

That said, nothing wrong with just going for it and making Chapter One a one-off for a convention. As long as the players know it is intended to be a campaign.

This is good to know.  I am currently running a gaming club and have a few regular members.  They all like the idea of keeping a character and evolving them over time.  While Adventurer's League lets you use the same character to progress, there is a cut off for the character at some point.  This made some club members sad when they had to "retire" an adventure to do the next season.

On 4/5/2016 at 2:36 AM, Khelbiros said:

Unfortunately, I will need to book slots in advance so a rough hourly estimate would be handy. One four hour slot? Two? Maybe I should wait for more reports to check in!

If I were to run this in a booked slot, I personally would choose a four hour slot (because that is far more convenient for players)... but then skip a lot, like:

1. Backround roleplaying in Miskatonic University (which can side track a session)
  2. Tour of the town (superfluous for this scenario)
  3. Splitting the group (at least, after the storm they should stay together)
  4. The dream-gate and damsel rescue

Otherwise, select two 4-hour slots.

To be blunt, I would not run ATTH for a con.  I've been running it for a group at my FLGS and we are just about ready for the final scenes of Episode 3.  Some has to do with missed weekends due to summer and events.  But our sessions tend to run in the 5 hour range.  If you get good role players who really get into the game the sessions will run longer and cover less ground making the campaign run longer overall.  

There is a small mountain of short CoC adventures/one-shots available.  I'd try one of them.