DIADOCHI WARLORDS Campaign

Chris

Great to see this. Warlords of Alexander is one of my favourite games/modules and really interesting to see it adapted to fit the excellent Mythras.

Just one thought that I've had since Warlords of Alexander - are regional Greek backgrounds really right for the setting? To me it seems more Classical city state than Hellenistic universalism. At the same time - I'm pretty sure Gymnasium would be open for relatively affluent Greek freemen only.

Maybe it would make sense to club all these social status and regional origin together for something a bit more like Runequest backgrounds, something like:

Free Citizen (Gymnasium)

Free Citizen (Vocational)

Barbarian

Slave

Aristocrat (Gymnasium)

Edited by Etepete
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Etepete said:

Great to see this. Warlords of Alexander is one of my favourite games/modules and really interesting to see it adapted to fit the excellent Mythras.

Just one thought that I've had since Warlords of Alexander - are regional Greek backgrounds really right for the setting? To me it seems more Classical city state than Hellenistic universalism. At the same time - I'm pretty sure Gymnasium would be open for relatively affluent Greek freemen only.

Maybe it would make sense to club all these social status and regional origin together for something a bit more like Runequest backgrounds, something like:

Free Citizen (Gymnasium)

Free Citizen (Vocational)

Barbarian

Slave

Aristocrat (Gymnasium)

HI Etepete

Thanks for your input.

I see no problem with people still seeing themselves as Thessalian  etc just as people in many countries today still think of themselves as part of their families past regional location. American Italians, Bavarian Germans etc.

You have a good point about the Gymnasium, However. I think by this time it was open to more than just the high class and it would have subgroups within it.  

From the Oxford history of Greece and the Hellenistic World

'in classical Athens there are signs that it was being made available to a far wider group' than just aristocrats p270

by the 'end of the forth century the Athenian system was sufficiently standard and universal to be completed by a state system of youth training, in which all young men from the age of 18 spent two years in the gymnasium and in military training'   this 'became in Hellenistic period the mark of a Greek city and the chief distinction between citizen and non-citizen' p271

Thanks for your thoughts

• Like 1

Just to clarify - I'm not arguing that regional identities disappeared with the Hellenistic era - just that a game that focuses on the universalist diadochi states rather than the more parochial Classical city state should reflect this in its design choices - which I never felt Warlords properly did on this particular point.

Fully agree that Gymnasium  education became more widely available during the Hellenistic era - but in any case not for slaves - you could probably argue both for and against Free Citizen (Vocational).

Another option would be to just distinguish between Macedonians and Free/City State Greeks.

The beauty of broad backgrounds like these would be that one could use the RQ6/Mythras Background format.

In any case - delighted you are working on this excellent setting :)

Edited by Etepete
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi 

Next two sessions are here

https://chrisbrann.wordpress.com/2021/07/19/the-odyssey-of-telamon-and-friends-pt-3/

https://chrisbrann.wordpress.com/2021/07/27/the-odyssey-of-telamon-and-friends-chapter-2-part-2/

One archer against 4 Galleys

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...