[Skaerune'] Experience

Sean_RDP

Experience

So I have been giving some thought on this and decided I wanted to shift slightly away from some of the traditional EXP gain roll models that various d100 games have knocked about. I have no idea if others have done this or not. It is not a huge difference.  This clicked in my head based on ideas from Clint Staples' blog. https://d-infinity.net/game-content/runequest-thursday-136-alternate-rules-experience-checks#comment-3301521036

This is a first pass really

Q21 Experience Gains

When a character successfully uses a skill during a game session, he or she notes it down. At the end of the session, for each such skill, the player makes a Intx(Y) roll. Succeeding means the character gains 1d6% OR 3% (the player chooses)

Y = a multiplier based on the current level of the skill.

Skill Level

Roll

1 to 50

Intx5

51 to 75

Intx3

Intx2

Curious what folks think. This will be going into some playtest material I am working on.

Its 2300hrs, do you know where your super dreadnoughts are?

http://reigndragonpressblog.blogspot.com/

It's not a huge difference as you say. Can't really see how it's an improvement over the old roll over current skill way of resolving the experience roll though. It makes INT a more important stat, but it's not more intuitive and the rule is a tad more complex than the old one.

• Like 1

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

It's not a horrible idea, but I also don't see how it is an improvement either.

It really only works for academic skills, as social skills and physical skills don't rely on INT as a core stat. IMO it would be better just having a bonus from INT rather than making it the basis for the roll.

If you wanted to go down this path, then it may work much better if you determine a different core stat for specific skills. This works well in making stats very relevant in an ongoing way. For example, Influence would use CHA, Dodge would use DEX, etc.

I initially thought you could apply it to the Skill Categories, but they are too broad to be locked into particular stats.

However if you determine it for particular skills then it perhaps gets a bit too fiddly for GMs who are attracted to the simplicity of OQ. So I would probably caution against doing this.

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

If using OpenQuest, then any rule change has got to remain simple, in keeping with the charm of the system.

I think if you can make the core Characteristics relevant with Skill Checks then the idea itself has merit; but it just needs to be very simple in its implementation.

Needs more work I think, but no harm in massaging things a bit more; especially if it could be a change for the better :)

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

A few things I am pondering:

1. How important is it to have skills over 100%?
  2. How fast should a character improve their skills?

The latter question is likely the most important. as it can affect how fact they get to an "end game". Should there even be an end goal based on skills? It has me re-thinking what a Master is and how they can be approached as something a character can aspire too.

Its 2300hrs, do you know where your super dreadnoughts are?

http://reigndragonpressblog.blogspot.com/

1. Having skills over 100% is not important in my opinion. I've capped skills at 100% - calling this Mastery, and then given some small ability related to the skill for each successful experience roll after this.

2. Not that important - I think the better question is how fast should a character become more powerful - and the driving force for this is usually gear and magic. In my group I allow for experience rolls after each session of game play.

• Like 1

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.