Heroes mutilating enemies

Snork

I'm running the law staff quest to complete Ghosts on the ridge with a group who are new to the system and world 

One player who is a spirit talker decided to geld two members of Darsten's warrant after winning his contest

I have some ideas on repercussions but thought input from others may be interesting 

I suppose that the players including the spirit talker are Sartarite Orlanthi rather than Praxian allies to the tribe.

How did the player(s) end up in power over the two geldees? Did they accept their surrender in the battle against Gagarth's horde, or did they overwhelm them in a non-lethal way that did not involve any consent by the two?

Accepting a surrender is a variant of hospitality vows, really. Whover accepts the surrender is the host of the people who vow to submit to his captivity. Usually for a promise of ransom - if that promise isn't kept, all bets are open.

The Lawstaff quest is all about honoring vows. If this action goes againt the vows of the captor, the entire benefit of the quest may be forfeited, and possibly this quest may be polluted for generations.

Does the spirit talker have a specific spirit contact that might incite him to follow this course? A vengeful ghost?

And why go for the crown jewels. What kind of history do the heroes or their dependents have with Darsten's bullies?

• Like 3

Telling how it is excessive verbis

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

Thanks Joerg

I suppose that the players including the spirit talker are Sartarite Orlanthi rather than Praxian allies to the tribe.  Correct

How did the player(s) end up in power over the two geldees? Did they accept their surrender in the battle against Gagarth's horde, or did they overwhelm them in a non-lethal way that did not involve any consent by the two? Just outside Quackford, he beat them and used parting shot in heroquest

Accepting a surrender is a variant of hospitality vows, really. Whover accepts the surrender is the host of the people who vow to submit to his captivity. Usually for a promise of ransom - if that promise isn't kept, all bets are open.

The Lawstaff quest is all about honoring vows. If this action goes againt the vows of the captor, the entire benefit of the quest may be forfeited, and possibly this quest may be polluted for generations. They are travelling as the lightbringers. He is representing Eurmal

Does the spirit talker have a specific spirit contact that might incite him to follow this course? A vengeful ghost? No reason 

And why go for the crown jewels. What kind of history do the heroes or their dependents have with Darsten's bullies? This was the groups third encounter with Darsten and company

I had planned for Darsten and the Taraling clan to try and get the group outlawed. However I'm thinking of using a group of Duck Huamkti mercenaries against the mutilator when (if) they return to Quackford

The rest of the heroes and players were shocked. The leader of the group has said he wont protect him for this action

Acting as Eurmal - in that case mythically quite appropriate to do the unthinkable. This might work to have been his iniitiation... and he had better find a shrine for "remove body part" quickly.

Did your player read up on Eurmal? It is fairly easy to be cast into that role, but it is nearly impossible to get out of it again.

Why did your group go into the Lawstaff Quest as the Lightbringers? Normally, Orlanth is an NPC in this quest, with the Quester following the steps of Heort. Coming as the Lightbringers here doesn't really bring any advantage.

I guess the group is saddled with this incarnation of Eurmal for the rest of their quest, and much higher resistance.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

27 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Acting as Eurmal - in that case mythically quite appropriate to do the unthinkable. This might work to have been his iniitiation... and he had better find a shrine for "remove body part" quickly.

Did your player read up on Eurmal? It is fairly easy to be cast into that role, but it is nearly impossible to get out of it again.

Why did your group go into the Lawstaff Quest as the Lightbringers? Normally, Orlanth is an NPC in this quest, with the Quester following the steps of Heort. Coming as the Lightbringers here doesn't really bring any advantage.

I guess the group is saddled with this incarnation of Eurmal for the rest of their quest, and much higher resistance.

The player didn't read up just made a guess. He's acquired the bloodlust flaw for his comments in previous combats. 

They are representing the lightbringers as they are a good fit (Orlanth-initiate, Chalana Arroy-initiate, Lhankor Myr-initiate, Issaries-high communication and air runes, Eurmal-odd Kolating, Fleshman-strong magic rune) and read the part of those questers travelling to Arrowmound

6 hours ago, ajs said:

They are travelling as the lightbringers. He is representing Eurmal

They've just become a Trickster, with all the implications that brings. If they don't become a bonded Trickster swiftly, then their life is going to become interesting. Short and interesting.

• Like 3

Though they may have gained some friends amongst the Babeester Gor cultists, depending on how despicable/anti-social the Black Oak Clan have been depicted in your game. If the Black Oak/Darsten & Co. have pissed of the women/Ernalda followers somewhere, then they may have just made some scary friends. The rest of the party may try to atone for this act with some serious sacrificing & deeds on behalf of the Gods, otherwise, as other, wiser heads have already said, they, (and quite possibly their community, as they are kin), are going to be in for some bad times ahead.

I would see the Chalana Arroy initiate being particularly disgusted by this, as mutilation of prisoners is not a compassionate act, and the Goddess may penalize her follower's magic if she doesn't take steps to 'distance' herself from these acts.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2017 at 10:15 AM, ajs said:

I'm running the law staff quest to complete Ghosts on the ridge with a group who are new to the system and world 

One player who is a spirit talker decided to geld two members of Darsten's warrant after winning his contest

I have some ideas on repercussions but thought input from others may be interesting 

If they have been left alive but mutilated, they can seek revenge. Their clan might be more annoyed over gelding, which is done to slaves in some cultures, than just killing them.

Of course, some magic might be able to regrow the severed items, in which case it would just be a temporary inconvenience.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

6 hours ago, soltakss said:

Of course, some magic might be able to regrow the severed items, in which case it would just be a temporary inconvenience.

The Chalana Arroy initiate might even feel a need to help the mutilated victims with her own Healing magics. For her, this might even be a good way of both atoning for these acts and emulating her Goddess' compassionate nature. After all, Chalana Arroy is known as the 'Compassionate Goddess'.

• Like 1