RQ Quickstart: Chronology

Yinkin

I am preparing to run the RuneQuest Quickstart, and is trying to straighten out the events that the PCs have participated in. So far I have this chronology. I have tried to include only the events mentioned in the PC backgrounds, only adding things to make things clearer. Some things I wonder about, and thought I'd put it to the forum and see what people think!

(For those who do not have the QS, Vasana, Yanioth, Sorala and Harmast are four of the QS PCs, and the ones I am going to use.)

----

The current year is 1625, after the dragonrise and Kallyr’s crowning as Prince of Sartar.

Three years ago (1622), Samastina of the Old Earth rebelled againt the her aunt, the Queen of Esrolia, Hendira of the Red Earth Alliance, who was allied to the Lunar Empire. Samastina was crowned Queen with Ernalda’s bleessings. [Sorala supports Samastina through the rebellion]

Two years ago, King Broyan of Whitewall allied with Queen Samastina, and Vasana and Yanioth [and Harmast?] follows him to Nochet.

The Lunars send an army to Nochet to defeat the rebellion, but could not break the city nor stop it from restocking through it’s port, so they lay siege to the city instead. [Are King Broyan besieged with the Old Earth alliance people in Nochet?]

Last year [? 1624], Argrath White Bull returned with the Wolf Pirate fleet of Harrek the Berserk. Broyan and Samastina allies with him, and with their help they break the Lunar siege at the Battle of Pennel Ford. [Did Harmast join the others only now? Regardless, he returns home after the battle.]

Argrath and Queen Samastina [accompanied by Sorala, Vasana and Yanioth] journeys to the Paps in Prax, where they summon the old Praxian hero Jaldon Goldentooth. Samastina returns to Esrolia after this, but Argrath and Jaldon raise a huge nomad army that sweeps aside the Lunar army of prax, and then proceed to capture the city of Pavis. Argrath is proclaimed King of Pavis. [Vasana is badly injured, and returns home to Sartar with her sister. They are accompanied by Sorala, who has now become good friends with them.]

In Earth season of 1625, the Lunars prepared for the Great Transformation of Dragon Pass with the sanctification of the new Temple of the Reaching Moon. But the ritual and the temple was destroyed by the appearance of an unknown True Dragon! This event is now called the Dragonrise. The dragon ate most of the Lunar provincial leadership, most of their elite troops and large parts of their local supporters. Some say that Argrath used lost Dragon Friendship magic to call it. [Harmast witnesses the Dragonrise]

After the Dragonrise, Sartar and Dragon Pass in thrown into Turmoil. Kallyr Starbrown gathers the tribes of Sartar and marches to fight the remaining Lunar leadership under the King of Tarsh, and wins! [Harmast fights with Kallyr]

With Sartar freed, Kallyr Starbrow was proclaimed Prince of Sartar, in accordance with the old ways! [Did she light the Flame of Sartar?]

11 hours ago, Yinkin said:

With Sartar freed, Kallyr Starbrow was proclaimed Prince of Sartar, in accordance with the old ways! [Did she light the Flame of Sartar?]

Guide to Glorantha, p.177, boxed text 'The Hero Wars begin', fifth paragraph:
... Sartar throws off the Lunar yoke and Kallyr relights the Flame of Sartar to be named Prince of Sartar. ...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Yinkin said:

The Lunars send an army to Nochet to defeat the rebellion, but could not break the city nor stop it from restocking through it’s port, so they lay siege to the city instead. [Are King Broyan besieged with the Old Earth alliance people in Nochet?]

As far as I know King Broyan was not in Nochet during the siege. Looking for a reference ...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Yinkin said:

[Are King Broyan besieged with the Old Earth alliance people in Nochet?]

Yes, Broyan is in Nochet during the siege in 1623.

[Did Harmast join the others only now? Regardless, he returns home after the battle.]

Harmast joined the campaign that culminated in the Battle of Pennel Ford.

Some say that Argrath used lost Dragon Friendship magic to call it. [Harmast witnesses the Dragonrise]

Except that Argrath was not at the Dragonrise, he is in Pavis.

[Harmast witnesses the Dragonrise]

It was hard not to in Dragon Pass.  The dragon was several miles long and circled in a spiral first north towards Tarsh (where it was driven back by the magic of the Red Emperor), then around Kero Fin until returning to the new valley it created.

[Did she light the Flame of Sartar?]

Per KoS p.127 "Kallyr called for a convocation of all leaders at the city of Boldhome. Many came, and they were glad to have a ruler of their own. Those who did not come were mostly afraid of the Lunar retaliation which was yet to fall. They met in the old manner, and they forged a new ring of Sartar. Kallyr Starbrow was named queen and warlord."  As @Oracle noted based on the Guide, she lights the Flame to at least some extent to be acclaimed Prince of Sartar.

7 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Yes, Broyan is in Nochet during the siege in 1623.

Are you sure? Guide to Glorantha, p.732, left column, third last and second last paragraph:

Early in 1624, the Wolf Pirate fleet of Harrek the Berserk appeared in the Choralinthor Bay, having returned from its three-year-long circumnavigation of the world. Broyan met with Harrek’s second-
in-command, Argrath ...

That spring, a makeshift army, composed of cooperative remnants of the Holy Country led by King Broyan, Wolf Pirates led by Harrek the Berserk, and a Manirian host led by Greymane, marched to fight the Lunar Army, which lifted its useless siege and went eagerly to battle. The two armies met at the
ford of Pennel.

My interpretation here is, that Broyan was not in Nochet during the siege (which started in 1623), but his appearance with his allies led to the lifting of the siege.

1 hour ago, Oracle said:

My interpretation here is, that Broyan was not in Nochet during the siege (which started in 1623), but his appearance with his allies led to the lifting of the siege.

He was in Nochet during the siege in 1623.  In Seaseason 1624, he goes out from there to meet Argrath and brings the Wolf Pirates in as allies to break the siege.  The Lunars retreat and the armies meet up at Pennel Ford.

If you look at GtG p.249: "Early in 1623, King Broyan leads his army into Esrolia, defeating the Grazeland Horse Army. King Broyan allies with the new Esrolian queen, and settles the mythical feud between the Vingkotlings and the Esrolian Grandmothers. The lands of the Red Earth Alliance are invaded and their cities besieged. In the south, the Warlords of Porthomeka form the Warm Earth Alliance under the leadership of the Demivierge of Rhigos. Later that year, Tatius the Bright, now General of the Lunar Provincial Army, rashly marches west to support the Lunar faction in Esrolia and besieges Nochet, trapping most of the Old Earth Alliance within."

Part of settling the mythical feud is becoming Samastina's lover.  He also leads the Old Earth Army around against the Red Earth Alliance until forced back into Nochet.

Glorantha Sourcebook p.157 also notes: "when Broyan and his ragged army of outlaws showed up in Esrolia, the Grazeland Horse Army was defeated and ran away. Broyan made alliance with the Old Earth queen and she appointed him her warleader."

Edited by jajagappa

59 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

He was in Nochet during the siege in 1623.  In Seaseason 1624, he goes out from there to meet Argrath and brings the Wolf Pirates in as allies to break the siege.  The Lunars retreat and the armies meet up at Pennel Ford.

If you look at GtG p.249: "Early in 1623, King Broyan leads his army into Esrolia, defeating the Grazeland Horse Army. King Broyan allies with the new Esrolian queen, and settles the mythical feud between the Vingkotlings and the Esrolian Grandmothers. The lands of the Red Earth Alliance are invaded and their cities besieged. In the south, the Warlords of Porthomeka form the Warm Earth Alliance under the leadership of the Demivierge of Rhigos. Later that year, Tatius the Bright, now General of the Lunar Provincial Army, rashly marches west to support the Lunar faction in Esrolia and besieges Nochet, trapping most of the Old Earth Alliance within."

Part of settling the mythical feud is becoming Samastina's lover.  He also leads the Old Earth Army around against the Red Earth Alliance until forced back into Nochet.

Glorantha Sourcebook p.157 also notes: "when Broyan and his ragged army of outlaws showed up in Esrolia, the Grazeland Horse Army was defeated and ran away. Broyan made alliance with the Old Earth queen and she appointed him her warleader."

Hhm, from my perspective the available text fragments leave still room for interpretation. (But that's part of the fun even with canonical Glorantha. ;)) And I may overlook something here.

Anyway I have no issue with following your interpretation ...

1 hour ago, Oracle said:

Hhm, from my perspective the available text fragments leave still room for interpretation.

Of course!  And I fully suspect that as Samastina's warleader, Broyan was in and out of the city during the siege, striking behind Lunar lines, searching for or gathering allies, etc. since Nochet was not truly closed off.  And as the Vingkotling King (aka heir of Kodig), he needs to defend Storm Hill in Nochet from the Lunars (which, of course, is Kodig's burial mound).  Also, there is no indication of him in say Heortland/Hendrikiland in this period.