First Magic World Adventure

WAR PANDA

After recently identifying Magic World as the Fantasy RPG vehicle that will allow my kids to discover the joys and delights of gaming with their imaginations I'm now in that place of where to begin.

I enjoy creating the narrative but I'd really like a module as a core inspiration as it just seems daunting to start something from scratch. 

Any advice as to any good but basic adventures to begin? I'm not too concerned with the compatibility of the system as I'm willing to strip it down and convert.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks

John

7 hours ago, WAR PANDA said:

After recently identifying Magic World as the Fantasy RPG vehicle that will allow my kids to discover the joys and delights of gaming with their imaginations I'm now in that place of where to begin.

I enjoy creating the narrative but I'd really like a module as a core inspiration as it just seems daunting to start something from scratch. 

Any advice as to any good but basic adventures to begin? I'm not too concerned with the compatibility of the system as I'm willing to strip it down and convert.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks

John

I have an adaptation / update of on old introductory adventure, originally intended for the Elric! game system (Which Magic World is directly derived from) but adjusted to Magic World I could pass to you?

There's a bunch of BRP fantasy adventures available in PDF from Chaosium (various monographs, and IIRC In Search of Trollslayer adventure are still available. Plus there's Fishsinger's Daughter in the Magic World Quickstart.

Most fantasy adventures that don't rely on combat grind to get through can be adapted to MW - pure Dungeon Crawling tends to be problematic in most version of BRP unless one fiddles with the resource economy a lot, so classic (A)D&D modules in that mode would need a bit of careful thought but its certainly do able.

Cheers,

Nick

I have been having a terrible time finding good "short" low fantasy adventures (10 hours or so) for any game system. Not because there aren't any but rather it takes forever to review the options. Hopefully you aren't as picky as me :-). I do highly recommend "In Search of the Trollslayer" though!  My group loved it!

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

4 hours ago, NickMiddleton said:

I have an adaptation / update of on old introductory adventure, originally intended for the Elric! game system (Which Magic World is directly derived from) but adjusted to Magic World I could pass to you?

Nick, I'd really appreciate you passing that on! From what I understand Elric and MW are very similar so it would convert real easy too! 

4 hours ago, NickMiddleton said:

There's a bunch of BRP fantasy adventures available in PDF from Chaosium (various monographs, and IIRC In Search of Trollslayer adventure are still available. Plus there's Fishsinger's Daughter in the Magic World Quickstart.

Trollslayer and Fishsinger's Daughter! Great, I will check these out. 

Thanks again!

28 minutes ago, rsanford said:

Hopefully you aren't as picky as me :-). I do highly recommend "In Search of the Trollslayer" though!  My group loved it!

Unfortunately I probably am :D Staging it for the kids means my expectations are not that high but it also leads to complexly considerations. If this goes well though I'd probably run a game for my adult COC group too. 

Another vote for Trollslayer means its probably become my first adventure. Thanks again guys

• 3 weeks later...

Here's what I sometimes do. Grab a module you like and cut out the stuff you don't like then rewrite the stuff  you only kinda like.

Characters in my game generally start with combat skills ranging from 100-150. General bad guys have combat skills from 30-40. One or two of them should have some special ability or spell that comes into play. A given low level encounter will have 2-3 bad guys versus one PC. These combats should be fast and have plenty of room for the Players to show off. Moderate encounters have one PC-level NPC and a few low level guys. Play smart and this will keep the PCs on their toes.

Boss level encounters should have some sort of special thing going on. Tweak to your desire.

I like my BRP fast and loose. I try to keep combat quick because I'm more interested in what sorts of choices the PCs make and what the fall out is rather than how many hit points they have. I feel Magic World does a good job in balancing a light touch while maintaining mechanical consequences. I also think it is relatively simple to adapt whatever alternative source material you might want to use over to BRP.

• Like 2

70/420